Hosting the database

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
11 years ago
Hi

I have uploaded my website using WebMatrix to 123.reg hosting package which appears to contain everything needed.
However their technical guys say I have to upload the database files into a database I first create on their hosting. When I try to upload the file Nop.Db.sdf I get an error

Maximum request length exceeded.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Web.HttpException: Maximum request length exceeded.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[HttpException (0x80004005): Maximum request length exceeded.]
   System.Web.HttpRequest.GetEntireRawContent() +9035643
   System.Web.HttpRequest.GetMultipartContent() +68
   System.Web.HttpRequest.FillInFormCollection() +247
   System.Web.HttpRequest.get_Form() +104
   System.Web.HttpRequest.get_HasForm() +9036751
   System.Web.UI.Page.GetCollectionBasedOnMethod(Boolean dontReturnNull) +97
   System.Web.UI.Page.DeterminePostBackMode() +69
   System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +135

What does it mean?
Is there another way to upload the database file?

Any help appreciated!
11 years ago
BUMP??  Anyone? Uploaded using WebMatrix and it says it was successful. Went to hosting and the only place I can find the database is in the files with the rest of the website. How do I get it into hosting database area.  Tried to upload it from there and I get the error in the previous message.

This is really doing my head in!!! There is probably a simple answer
11 years ago
That error looks like it's from your hosting's control panel. How are you trying to upload your .sdf file?

The SQL Compact file Nop.db.Sdf file should be in \Presentation\Nop.Web\App_Data folder in your web.  That should have been uploaded by WebMatrix too.

You should check the contents of your hosted web site folders using their control panel file manager, or get an FTP tool like Filezilla.
11 years ago
Hi

Thanks but i don't have a  /presentation

The .db.sdf file is just in a folder called app_data. Thats were I navigated to in order to upload the file using hosting providers instructions.

Have sent them a message to see if they can support .sdf extensions
11 years ago
Sorry, I was looking at my source code folder.  Yes, it's just \App_Data off of your root web folder
11 years ago
They don't "host" the DB when you use SQL Compact like they would for full SQL Server.  You may want to try the following...

Backup/rename your .sdf file, and the Settings.txt and InstalledPlugins.txt files.  Then restart the web and navigate to root -  - without the Settings.txt file it will launch the Install.  Redo the install choosing SQL Compact, and see what it does.
11 years ago
Hi Thank you.

Do I backup/rename local copy and then update or the one directly on the server?

What do you mean by "Then restart the web and navigate to root - -"

I also dont remember having to select type of SQL

So sorry, complete Nop novice and my knowledg of SQL is very old. So much has changed since I last did any of this. I really apreciate your help.
11 years ago
Just received this from hosting support team

Dear Paula,

Thank you for contacting 123-reg on the 8th January 2013.
The instructions do make sense but unfortunately our shared platform has separate web and mssql servers and the Sql compact method will not work.
The .sdf extension is a Microsoft standard but is not supported on our system. You will need to have the database files as .sql in order for them to install successfully.
While I can not guarantee that this is indeed the issue affecting your NopCommerce as the applications files should be able to de-construct these files and insert the correct data into the databases, it is a starting point worth looking at. Please ask NopCommerce if they can provide and installation kit that makes use of exclusively .sql files for database information.
Should there be any more information that we can offer on the matter, or if you encounter any other issues, please do not hesitate to get back to us.

Any Ideas?
11 years ago
You must decide whether you want to use a SQL Compact vs SQL Server.  I won't go into the pros/cons here - you can Google/read about them on the web.   Since you asked about .sdf file, I'll just provide suggestions based on that - however, I've not personally used it...

re: Do I backup/rename local copy and then update or the one directly on the server?
Do it on the server.  This is just a test to see if it will work.  As far as the response from your support, I'm not sure if it's true.  Again, I've never used Compact, but it is an "embedded" database, so I don't see why it would not work.  It does not require the use of the "separate ... mssql servers".

re: What do you mean by "Then restart the web and navigate to root - -"
easiest way to force clean restart
Just put in the root url - e.g. www.mydomain.com
(unless you installed it in some subdomain, or subfolder)

re: I also dont remember having to select type of SQL
The option for DB type is on the install page -
  [  ]  Use built-in data storage (SQL Server Compact
  [*]  Use SQL Server (or SQL Express) database [Recommended]
11 years ago
Hi New York

You must be finding me incredibly hard work.

Are you saying I need to install nopcommerce on the hosting server?

or re-install it on my computer choosing the SQL option instead of compact?

Isn't there any way to change it in settings?
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.