import via excell - dont click page refresh !!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
14 years ago
trying out upload images via excell

browse-->upload  

after upload, the page is still the same ie does not show uploaded products so i clicked refresh and the page still looks the same - i clicked refresh again and no change so i tried to use the menu to navigate back to manage products page ...
only to find that i had three times more products than i uploaded

each time i clicked page refresh on the browser, it added the products to the database again - lots of deleting !!

so we can input dozens of items at a time now via excell - but how do we delete them? slowly lol

suggestion:
maybe a checkbox in product list where we can select multiple products on a page then click 'delete' to remove several at a time - like deleting mail on hotmail
14 years ago
just delete using SQL for now.....

I take it from this you have used the new upload feature.  Can you give us some details on how it works... Obvisouly would just try it myself....but I' really busy!!!
14 years ago
i spent a little while in wee small hours of the morning till my eyes were sore and didn't quite manage to figure it exactly, i was going to wait until some others had something to say about it !

what i figured last night was that the best way to know what was needed in a file upload was to do a file export from the store first.

so i did this with all the items in the store (a grand total of 9)

i simply saved and uploaded the file and it worked, adding the (same) items to the store. So, next i added a few lines of new items underneath, saved the data and imported again, but it only imported the first 9 lines (ie the original 9 items) but none of the 12 new ones.

next step was to delete the original items and move the 12 new items up to the top of the spreadsheet. --> saved and imported again.

but it only imported the first 9 new items ie it seemed like it was only reading the same amount of rows that were in the original exported file.

i don't know if if need to set some formatting on excel, maybe set a page size or something like that, i'm not overly familiar with the software.

so as a workaround until some proper advice comes along, i suggest exporting items to excel, then use the generated .xls as a template for uploading new items - just remember to remove any of the items you exported originally !!!!
14 years ago
Sounds like the problem I've had using 1.30 when but i directly imported through the SQL Database.. The products are imported but you will also need to import product variants or manually edit them for them to become active. Along with category mapping. All these are done by directly importing via the SQL database.
14 years ago
One gotya I did notice with the "Import from excel" function on the products page is that the importer class is looking for a sheet inside the excel file specifically called products.

I checked the code inside the class and here is the exert from the method doing the import:
DataTable dt = excelHelper.ReadTable("Products");

So its telling the excelHelper class to run the ReadTable method and passing the sheet name as a parameter.
You would figure there would be a catch statement or validation that would check for existence of this sheetname and if it didn't exists try the default "sheet1" or something.

Anyways, before I noticed this I was getting the following error message:  The Microsoft Jet database engine could not find the object 'Products'. Make sure the object exists and that you spell its name and the path name correctly.

I hope this helps in some way.
Thanks,
Steve
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.