Beginner Design Question - Design Tools

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
14 years ago
Hi everyone!

I have a very beginner question.

I am a do-it-myself type and have built ASP.NET 2.0 web applications/sites using MS Web Developer Express 2008.

I will be selling ONE item, which is a piece of software my brother and I have built for personal use, but later decided we would like to sell, because it is a simple application which would be great for a small market.

I tried to edit one of the pages in MS WebDeV Express 2008 and I am confused.  Normally a project comes right up and I can edit it without too much trouble using point and click interface.

When I edit the default.aspx page, it looks weird.

I cannot see how to edit it.

I have little experience with CSS, which I am reading is essesntial.

Can you all please point me in the right direction?

Is there an easy way to edit the pages?

Is DOTNETNUKE an easier way to edit the pages?

Please Help!!

Thanks in advance.
14 years ago
If you look in the App_Themes directory this is where you can alter the stylesheets and images.

Thanks,
Matthew
14 years ago
The design view will not work because of the dynamic nature of the application. Your default page is compiled from a master page an multiple modules. If your wanting to change the look and style of the page it can be done with the css, as suggested above. A good technique maybe be to compile the page (run it in your browser) and use a css utility to view the css. Firefox has a great add-on called firebug that will let you examine the css so you can find the properties that you want to change.

Best Regards

Curt Wheeler
www.100development.com
14 years ago
Thanks for the posts.

I actually figured out how to edit most of the content with notepad after browsing around the root folder of my store.

I found that most can be done by editing the pages found in the modules folder. I was originally confused because most ASP projects can be easily edited using visual web developer. I was already used to editing the pages and having to edit the master pages through the same program.

Something was wrong when I went to do it though. I might not have downloaded the proper project files from the website. I know that some are offered with the source.

No matter, because I got what I wanted.

Thanks guys.
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.