Performance in comparison.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
10 years ago
Hi Guys

I have been reading this topic with interest, but I noticed there is no mention of CDN (Content Delivery Network), which is used to cache static content, leaving the server to only deliver the dynamic content, I have been using Cloudflare.com for the last couple of months, and it certainly makes a difference in speed, might be worth a try.
10 years ago
Well, I use Cloudflare for my commercial site, It will certainly help with caching of static pages, but it will not help with filtering. Filters are main pain here.
10 years ago
Hi Ben,

Glad someone responded that makes more sense.

It's definitely a hardware / configuration issue.

Like you said running sql server on the same disk as Os really slows it down.

This could be the issue others are having.
10 years ago
Hi Ben,

Thank you for your attention. I double checked to compile in Release mode.  The problem was present on the untouched no-source version already. I am running SQL on the same disk on the live site, it copes well with 2.65 (it is a X3430 Quad Core 4x2.4Ghz, 8Gb RAM 7.2krpm disk root server running this site only with only ~800 products, and about 10k pageviews/day)

I am now inserting Stopwatch tracing instructions into the code to track down where does it spend most of the time when showing my 70 product category.
It spends 17 secs alone in the following method call in file Presentation\Nop.Web\Controllers\CatalogController.cs
    model.Products = PrepareProductOverviewModels(products).ToList();

Tracking it further into the called method  (in the same file)
    protected IEnumerable<ProductOverviewModel> PrepareProductOverviewModels(IEnumerable<Product> products, ...

I measured it to take 200msec for each iteration of the main loop over the 70 products, (this makes it 14 secs in total) to execute the code in the region Prepare product price
and 90msec in the region Prepare product picture  (total ~6 secs)

(The times don't add to 17 sec total correctly because I log the tracing data in the Activity Log file which added time to each iteration. It was not the case when measuring the PrepareProductOverviewModels method call in whole.)

...so far I got this time, will continue today evening and keep you informed...    maybe I will also look at the same code in (the fast) version 2.65 to compare it.
10 years ago
libor wrote:
I have the same performance bug.  It is definitely not a fine tuning issue.

Version 2.65 loads our largest category with 70 products (this category is set to show all products on one page) in 3-4 sec.  (but after about 2 sec the page is already responsive with only some product pictures lagging behind and loading at the end of the page)

With the very same database (converted to 3.0) on the very same server this category with 70 products loads in 21 sec in version 3.0.  (in the first 18-19 seconds nothing happens at the client browser), this delay makes the site unusable.

I tried a suggested workaround (it was rather a test) found in another topic (for 2.8 there was a similar problem) to switch off all discounts globally, this helped to bring the load time down to half, ie. 10-11 sec.  However it is much better, but anything above 4-5 sec is not less unacceptable, and I would also lack all the discount system in this case.

I am not sure if it is related to your problem but you might want to check this topic:

https://www.nopcommerce.com/boards/t/23515/substantial-bottle-neck-in-nopcommerce-30-catalog-pages.aspx
10 years ago
I had problems with nop performance for a while now (this was with early v2 versions). I think there are some fundamental design mistakes that we found...

1) poor user of looping - often loops are requerying the db to lookup single values - would have been better to add an inner join to the original query
2) SQL queries are poorly structured in some cases - little attention paid to optimizing them.
3) poor use of inbuilt caching

A $600 add-on kind of defeats the purpose for me of using free and open source software.

The performance issues we had were mainly with larger sites so we switched those to another asp.net cart that handled very large catalogues fine.

Its not to do with hardware issues, or having db on same machine as iis... we run another asp.net SQL cart and it rockets on the same machine.
10 years ago
I agree with last statement. I opened this chat noticing that I run another asp site with many millions of products on the same machine, and site is very quick. After several days of trying to make sense of very poor performance of nopCommerce, I am ready to quit. I concluded, that whatever reason is, this platform is not ready for commercial use. Admin panel looks good, templates are good, there are many plugins with good functionality, but that all means nothing when page takes forever to open. Filters plugin from 7Spikes totally killed it. I sent them request several days ago, but got nothing so far. The odds are that i saw a few sites on that platform, that work fine, but again, if it takes a magic to make it work, then what the point?
10 years ago
I am now quite concerned.

I don't want to get into a situation where as my site grows it gets slower and slower.

At the moment my site is running just fine. Problem is if it's a ticking time bomb with the amount of products I add, one day it could be so slow it start driving my customers away.

Page responses are also bad for SEO and for user experience. Both of these factors would eventually kill my business like a disease.

I think we all need reassurance from the development crew that these performance issues are going to be given high priority. More importantly actual resolved.

Maybe those of you who have found problem areas can document them and if you improved them explain how you achieved it. This way it may help the developers turn this issue around quicker.

Kind Regards
Julian
10 years ago
JulianMummery wrote:
I am now quite concerned.

I don't want to get into a situation where as my site grows it gets slower and slower.

At the moment my site is running just fine. Problem is if it's a ticking time bomb with the amount of products I add, one day it could be so slow it start driving my customers away.

Page responses are also bad for SEO and for user experience. Both of these factors would eventually kill my business like a disease.

I think we all need reassurance from the development crew that these performance issues are going to be given high priority. More importantly actual resolved.

Maybe those of you who have found problem areas can document them and if you improved them explain how you achieved it. This way it may help the developers turn this issue around quicker.

Kind Regards
Julian

Well, considering the quick response to a specific issue reported by a developer in this other thread:
https://www.nopcommerce.com/boards/t/23515/substantial-bottle-neck-in-nopcommerce-30-catalog-pages.aspx
I do believe they will solve this problem... it is not that they are hiding and hoping this issue goes away alone. ;)
10 years ago
For everyone who experience performance issues I highly recommend to see this forum post of mine
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.