Order confirmation email sent even if order cancelled

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
12 years ago
Hi TuppstigenTom,

I think the point is that the "Order Placed" email can be disabled. Your customers then won't receive any emails until the order is complete (paid for). Have a look in the "Content Management > Message Templates" section.

Just think of "Order Placed" as being the same as the goods still being in the customers trolley (cart to you Americans) in a shop (store) and they've popped out to the car to get their wallet. If they come back and pay, the order is complete. If they don't, you've got to cancel the order and put the stuff back on the shelf.

I agree that having to cancel an order is a pain. However the creation of an order, in anticipation of payment coming at some point in the future, is necessary for payment methods that require the user to be transfered to an external site. Therefore it must be part of the program flow.

Having said that, could there be a field in the payment plugin description along the lines of - RequiresExternalAuth? If no payment methods are active that Require External Auth, then the "Order Placed" step could be bypassed.

Hope this helps and is acurate.

Darren Pegram

---ADDITION---

You could see the "Order Placed" status as being a very useful tool. Now you have the email address and contact details for a potential customer.

You can contact them to see if you can help with payment (did they have problems and give up).
You can target them with marketing material (after all, you know what they were interested in buying).
12 years ago
Hello Darren,

Thanks for the reply. I hope you don't think I'm being pedantic, but it seems to be a little design error that can be fixed.

Simply disabling the "Order Placed" email is problematic because it is a very good idea to immediately acknowledge the action of the customer that placed the order. I like that nopCommerce does that. It's just that the acknowledgement is sent before the the customer places the order and in fact may not place the order for more than one reason. The idea is just to wait a matter of seconds for the response from the payment entity. The DIBS site (for example) provides a means of immediate feedback to nopCommerce via their "accepturl/cancelurl" response, and in addition provides an "automatic call-back" to cover cases where the customer might not follow through with the complete process.

The metaphor you used is a good one. It is as if when the customer pops out to his car the clerk (nopCommerce) decides it's a good idea to mail him a letter saying "thanks" and notify accounting that we have a sale...while he's still out at the car.

Actually it has nothing to do with the pain of canceling an order, although it somehow seems to be interpreted that way.

"However the creation of an order, in anticipation of payment coming at some point in the future, is necessary for payment methods that require the user to be transfered to an external site. Therefore it must be part of the program flow."
... I'm not sure why this is the case. Why can't nopCommerce wait until the external site returns its "yea" or "nay" regarding the payment?

cheers, Tom
12 years ago
Hi,

I agree with wunpac about 'you have contact details and do a follow up', most of the online stores that i shop at have this feature where by you receive an email order conformation and at the bottom it says that the order will not be processed/dispatched until payment has cleared i.e. if a company can only do manual processing, then i receive an order completed (paid/cleared funds) this happens at the Novatech store.

I use nop 1.9 and yes people can say that the checkout process is a bit laborious but if i want to send somebody a gift i can have it sent to there address and enter that at the shipping page, billing page could do with taking out, apart from that I find the checkout flow fine.
12 years ago
Don't get me wrong, I think NopCommerce including its checkout process is the greatest thing since Swedish Lutfisk (dare I say better than surströmming). Jag älskar nopCommerce! Without it I (actually my wife) would have no site at all.

I was originally just trying to find out if any of the original posters had resolved this issue and if so how.
12 years ago
Hi Tom,

Disable the "Order Placed" email. They will still get an "Order Complete" email once payment is confirmed.

Darren
12 years ago
We got customer complain about the email when she didn't get through the PayPal standard. I concur with Tom that the confirmation email, either placed or confirmed, be sent after the payment is completed successfully although I understand the difference between the 'placed' and 'confirmed' explained by Andrei.

Per Andrei's comment about, it seems there is a way to disable the email of 'order place' in the admin area. I checked through that but didn't find where I can do it. Andrei - could you provide more detail info in reconfiguring the email sending unless 'order confirmed'?

Shane
12 years ago
oursure wrote:
We got customer complain about the email when she didn't get through the PayPal standard. I concur with Tom that the confirmation email, either placed or confirmed, be sent after the payment is completed successfully although I understand the difference between the 'placed' and 'confirmed' explained by Andrei.

Per Andrei's comment about, it seems there is a way to disable the email of 'order place' in the admin area. I checked through that but didn't find where I can do it. Andrei - could you provide more detail info in reconfiguring the email sending unless 'order confirmed'?

Shane

You can disable it by unchecking "Is active" option in the message template. See example in admin demo.
11 years ago
I just experienced this today as well. It is good to get a notification once the order is placed... rather than when its completed, i.e after being shipped.

So I went through as a test user, confirmed an order and go to the paypal screen. Here, i clicked cancel and go back to %Store.Name%

Now, I was sent an e-mail ... which is normal according to the template, however is it possible to send an IPN response from Paypal back to the website saying the order is cancelled and mark it as cancelled for the Admin and increase the inventory by the number purchased?

Thanks
Tony
10 years ago
I am experiencing this as well. If I place an order and then cancel out of the Paypal payment process, the Order Placed email notifications get sent even though payment is still pending. What makes this worse is the Vendor notification email gets sent as well so my vendors will be shipping out products that haven't been paid for yet. Is there a way around this? If not, I can't go live with my site if there's a possibility that vendor shipments will go out without being paid for (and the vendor has no way of knowing).
10 years ago
Just want to bump this topic:

This is definitely an issue for us as well. Customers don't understand why they receive e-mails saying that the order has been placed, when in fact, they cancelled the payment because they didn't want to order the goods after all.

I cannot recall ever having experienced this behavior in other web shops as a customer.

Since the "Order Placed" e-mail has the same content and is sent regardless of payment status, the e-mail has to keep a generic wording that covers both customers that have paid and those who backed out.

Something like: "Your order has been placed. If you did not complete the payment process, please do so at blablabla"  -- which just adds to the confusion for those who actually paid.

All in all, this entire process needs fine tuning. Perhaps a setting indicating whether to send the e-mail ONLY when payment process has been completed.

I will personally look into changing this behavior in our own installation, but would also like to hear if others have solved it and how.

Best regards
B
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.