SUGGESTION: Use exact dates for forum posts

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
10 years ago
Hello,

This is probably the only forum on the internet where the date of the forum post is indicated by an inexact approximation.

Why don't they use real dates like the rest of the world?

Thanks,
Tony
10 years ago
Because these are international forums. What date should we display for unregistered users or users who did not specify their timezone? UTC? UK? USA? Russia? Real dates are usually used by local sites. This one is more user-friendly approach

BTW, this is not the only forum on the Internet which uses this approach. Most of such sites usesit. For example, wordpress, drupal, magento, etc
10 years ago
a.m. wrote:
Because these are international forums. What date should we display for unregistered users or users who did not specify their timezone? UTC? UK? USA? Russia? Real dates are usually used by local sites. This one is more user-friendly approach

BTW, this is not the only forum on the Internet which uses this approach. Most of such sites usesit. For example, wordpress, drupal, magento, etc

Andrei,

I never thought of the international scope this forum encompasses, although, I have visited forums where the user can set their time zone.

It's not such an important issue, but I would rather see a date and time.

Thanks,
Tony
10 years ago
I agree, it makes it harder to judge the period of time elapsed between older posts. e.g in this topic, posts are coming up as "3 months ago" but I'd like to know the post times, to see how long it took for replies to come through (since all posts are '3 months ago')

For older posts I wouldn't mind the time zone that's used (UTC I guess would be the sensible choice) but it'd allow us to see the time between posts easier.
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.