Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
14 years ago
I have installed SQL Express and NopCommerce via the Microsoft application install. It installed with no problems but when I launched the Nopcommerce application I get an connection error:

A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)

Port 1433 is open. Remote access is selected in SQL Mgmt, and the network protocols are enabled.

What am I missing?
14 years ago
standard error when setting up SQL on your own server

" Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server"

The error is the answer

Check at technet SQL errors if you donot know how to do this.
14 years ago
I wish the error was the answer, but it is obvious to see the problem comes from a loose connection not the "error is the answer". I have looked in every connection possible, Mind you this is a Microsoft installed application using SQL 2008 express. I also checked if there is an instance, and there is one...

I’m sure Microsoft installation adds the configuration to the application.

If there is anyone who have experienced this error and made the corrections please give me the steps you made to correct this matter.

Looking into Forums, Blogs, and how to TechNet, doesn’t cut the cake. If you know what I mean…

Thanks!
14 years ago
I'm sorry,

I didn't know I was supposed to google this for you

http://blogs.msdn.com/sql_protocols/archive/2007/03/31/named-pipes-provider-error-40-could-not-open-a-connection-to-sql-server.aspx
14 years ago
Thanks max

But I'm not looking for a google expert, I need expert advice on establishing connection with the NopCommerce application to the SQL database Server.

The link you googled is a MSDN Blog.

Thanks Max, You the Man!
14 years ago
Using the SQL Express application requires the use of the SQL Server name not the machine name.

I was logging in with the machine name and the connection would not establish. Remember everything checked out OK.

I then used  “ .\SQLEXPRESS “  on the server name while logging on through the browser and it connected.

This concludes this error...
14 years ago
Good to hear you figured it out.  Must have been that helpful "Search Google" response.

For anyone else who comes across this problem, another thing to check for is that you have the correct named pipes enabled.

From 'Sql Server Configuration Manager' or right click My Computer and select 'Manage'.  In the tree view go to 'Protocols' under 'Network Configuration' and 'Native Client'.  Make sure that 'shared memory', 'tcp/ip', and 'named pipes' are enabled and in that order.

Restart your sql server and you should be a go.

joe
14 years ago
make sure you type in SERVERNAME/SQLEXPRESS as the server/ip address.

I got the same and this fixed it for me.
13 years ago
the fix for me is "servername\sqlexpress" - noticed the "\", "/" did not work for me.
13 years ago
alanimal wrote:
make sure you type in SERVERNAME/SQLEXPRESS as the server/ip address.

I got the same and this fixed it for me.

The right sintax is SERVERNAME\SQLEXPRESS ... bad documantation ...
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.