Performance: v3.1 - nopAjaxFilters from nopTemplates MAY be cause of slow page loads

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
10 years ago
Hi,

v3.1 - nopAjaxFilters from nopTemplates MAY be a performance issue

Seeing the forums are covered with concerns about performance I have noticed that if you are running the nopAjaxFilters from nopTemplates, this can be one of the causes. It depends on many other factors but as an example I have:

1 category (120 products approx)
2 categories with zero products (still busy setting up)
10 specification attributes

and page loads are extremely slow as you can see from this pic, and the reason why highlighted in red:

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=14cz5uf&s=5#.UtA8HvRDtik

The category controller is also problematic as you can see in the pic, but when I disable the nopAjaxFilters page load times are back to normal (approx 200ms).

Hope this might help others. I have informed the people at nopTemplates also.

Regards,
Richard
10 years ago
As a follow up to the above:

The sales and support staff at nopTemplate (Seven Spikes) have been 1st class in helping to diagnose this issue - even though my support contract ended 3 months ago they have done everything they can to help, even providing the latest build of all the plugins and the theme I use.

After extensive testing and reinstalling I can confirm that the problem was actually related to having the website and the database on the same server - particularly a SHARED server. I was trying to keep the cost of hosting to the minimum but the memory utilization kept hitting 95-100%. Conclusion: 1GB RAM on a shared server is just not sufficient for SQL Server to do its job properly, which is somewhat obvious when you read-up on SQL Server system requirements - I should be surprised it worked at all!

On a dedicated server with 8GB RAM using SQL Server Express 2012, the performance difference is considerable - page loads have gone down from 20+ seconds to <1s. Memory utilization stays at about 25%, which is great since it gives us spare capacity to grow.

Many thanks to Seven Spikes and I hope this helps others - plenty of threads on here recommend a separate server for your database, and that is clearly the right way to do it.
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.