How to add a page to the robots.txt file

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
7 years ago
I've put robots.custom.txt on root folder and on Content folder but they don't work.
7 years ago
The file robots.custom.txt in the root directory works only from version 3.7

I prefer to comment/remove this section in web.config and than create the new robots.txt file to the root directory.

<add name="RobotsTxt" path="robots.txt" verb="*" type="System.Web.Routing.UrlRoutingModule" resourceType="Unspecified" preCondition="integratedMode" />
7 years ago
andqut wrote:

I prefer to comment/remove this section in web.config and than create the new robots.txt file to the root directory.

<add name="RobotsTxt" path="robots.txt" verb="*" type="System.Web.Routing.UrlRoutingModule" resourceType="Unspecified" preCondition="integratedMode" />

Surprisingly, i have done two approaches in version 3.7 and faced error page on second approach. In first approach i faced default action result and my robots.custom.txt file didn't work.
I'm confused.
7 years ago
in 3.7 use robots.custom.txt
I've just tested. It works fine.
7 years ago
andqut,

I'm using nop 3.7. You seem to know a bit about this. I have 27,000 products. Google webmaster tools is reporting that 27,000 have been submitted. Approx. 14,000 indexed and 13,000 blocked by robots.txt. Do you know of any reason why robots.txt would be blocking the urls from being indexed?

Bing webmaster tools is even worse. Only 615 urls being submitted to the index from sitemap.xml. I have resubmitted many times with the same exact results.

In your opinion would it be better to comment out the sitemap.xml and robots.txt lines from web.config and use flat files for them in website root?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
7 years ago
andqut wrote:

Yes!! You were right. I have done something wrong.
robots.custom.txt works fine on root.
And what i should do with sitemap?
sitemap.custom.xml does not work. Is there any way without manipulate web.config to provide custom sitemap?
7 years ago
sorry for the stupid question, but where is the Common Controller where the robots.txt file is located?

I had an seo audit and I need to make an adjustment to the file.

thanks
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.