Suggestions for Enterprise Addition

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
14 years ago
What nopCommerce features do you think would fit an enterprise addition?  Below is a list of things I believe should be left out of the community edition and added to an an enterprise addition.

- Multistore
- Import facility wtith rerecurring imports (could also be sold as a seperate module) products and customers
- Backend skinning cannot be modified without enterprise addition
- Backup and restore features (maybe)
- Advanced Reporting

I believe the features mentioned above would add a lot of value to a enterprise addition.  Your thoughts and additions are welcome.  At the end of the day we ALL want nopCommerce to become the e-commerce platform of choice and we need to keep lines of communication open.
14 years ago
I would completely agree that your ideas should be left out of the community edition and put into an enterprise edition.
Also I feel the below should be left out of the community edition and put into the enterprise edition:
(Many not implemented yet)

Templates (Community Ed. should provide 2-4 basics no more)
Google Analytics integration
One click re-order
Store credit for customers
Traffic Reports
Product Import Wizard (software designed by nop to upload up to thousands of products direct, with catalog, images, seo, the works. Excel import only way of import for community)
Site Minimum Order Dollar figure and Item Minimum quantity
Phone Order Entry Module
Configurable local pickup option that can be restricted by geographic region
Automatic image watermarking for protection(with company logo?)
Prices can vary by customer or customer level (group) (not just discount shown in shopping cart)
         Customer Levels can be tax-exempt (e.g. wholesale)
         Products visible on the site can be filtered by customer level
Support for Verified By Visa/MasterCard Secure initiatives
Automatically create drop-ship and special order/purchase order to vendor
Delayed Downloads (gives you time to verify buyer payment/fraud metrics before releasing download files)

Just to name a few features I would like to see come about and I believe they should only be available in the Enterprise edition.
14 years ago
I was speaking with Andrei last night about the future of nopCommerce community edition.

My personal view is that we should simplify nopCommerce. Although the current nopCommerce architecture is quite simple to understand, I don't really feel that it is pluggable.

What I suggest is we develop a solid foundation and work on building a very pluggable architecture to make it easier to develop themes and extensions.

With all the features that have been suggested, just getting a simple store up and running can be a bit overwhelming for some store owners. If you develop new functionality as optional features then the storekeeper can just enable/disable the ones they want - a bit like how applications like mojoPortal and SharePoint work.

So yes I think features like multi store, catalog localization (that may be a difficult to write as an extension) should be in an enterprise version. However many other features such as integration with other applications, payment gateways, shipping calculations could be plugins.

So you download nopCommerce, enable / disable the built in features you want, optionally buy some additional extensions from the nopCommerce "App Store" and get a solid ecommerce solution tailored for your needs.

Just looking at the bigger picture.

Thoughts?
14 years ago
As a community we need a more collaborative way to actively contribute in more organized way. We need a central repository of code source, whether in Codeplex or somewhere else (personally work with Mercurial and could make a mirror of the sources in bitbucket).

We need a way to upload plugins and patches on our own, not only code dispersed in forums, without needing to be sending an email at Nop Team.

In short follow the guidelines of the Magento community.

Magento has clearly defined its community and enterprise versions, free and pay plugins (both Magento team Plugins and third part Plugins).
14 years ago
daycrom wrote:

We need a way to upload plugins and patches on our own, not only code dispersed in forums, without needing to be sending an email at Nop Team.

Agree, the process of contribution code needs to be a bit more open but there still needs to be a vetting process for those who can contribute direct to the repository. Otherwise submitting patches on CodePlex for everyone else should be fine.
14 years ago
nopCommerce team | retroviz wrote:

Agree, the process of contribution code needs to be a bit more open but there still needs to be a vetting process for those who can contribute direct to the repository. Otherwise submitting patches on CodePlex for everyone else should be fine.

A suggestion, covert your codeplex site over to Mercurial or setup on Github.   THat way you can just allow others to fork and you still get to pick what gets merged back into the trunk.  This would allow for greater community involvement while limiting trunk commiters.
14 years ago
We could also do something similar with SubVersion on Codeplex rather than using TFS
14 years ago
Enabled Mercurial in Codeplex would great!!. Subversion also is ok, in this case i agree for convert subversion repository to mercurial and upload to Bitbucket, in this way could replicate exactly the changeset in subversion to mercurial repository.

Plugins contributions in Codeplex is ok for beginning, but one central repository for plugins in nopCommerce official site would great.
14 years ago

So you download nopCommerce, enable / disable the built in features you want, optionally buy some additional extensions from the nopCommerce "App Store" and get a solid ecommerce solution tailored for your needs.

This would be wonderful; each e-comm client that comes my way has unique requirements and needs; I work with small/new businesses, not all of whom are at the same stage in their growth cycle.  Being able to choose exactly what they're ready for would be excellent!
14 years ago
I was speaking with Andrei last night about the future of nopCommerce community edition.

My personal view is that we should simplify nopCommerce. Although the current nopCommerce architecture is quite simple to understand, I don't really feel that it is pluggable.

What I suggest is we develop a solid foundation and work on building a very pluggable architecture to make it easier to develop themes and extensions.

With all the features that have been suggested, just getting a simple store up and running can be a bit overwhelming for some store owners. If you develop new functionality as optional features then the storekeeper can just enable/disable the ones they want - a bit like how applications like mojoPortal and SharePoint work.

So yes I think features like multi store, catalog localization (that may be a difficult to write as an extension) should be in an enterprise version. However many other features such as integration with other applications, payment gateways, shipping calculations could be plugins.

Just looking at the bigger picture.

Thoughts?

Very well thought retroviz, that is defenetly the way to go.
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.