Star Ratings in Google / Schema questions

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
9 years ago
I noticed we had them in our rich text snippets but they have disappeared. Could it be our version of Nop? (3.30) Also wondering if anyone can tell me about Schema and how much NopCommerce delves into it? I do see evidence of it in the source code which is great. Can anyone share their experience as to whether it's as up-to-speed as it should be? I'm just learning about schema, etc and any info / input would be much appreciated!
9 years ago
AMCAR wrote:
I noticed we had them in our rich text snippets but they have disappeared. Could it be our version of Nop? (3.30) Also wondering if anyone can tell me about Schema and how much NopCommerce delves into it? I do see evidence of it in the source code which is great. Can anyone share their experience as to whether it's as up-to-speed as it should be? I'm just learning about schema, etc and any info / input would be much appreciated!

Hi,

Default nopCommerce product pages has support for rich text snippets with star ratings.

To check if your pages has correct rich text snippets (schema / microformats), you can use this tool for testing.

And the best place to ask why the rich text snippets are disappeared from your google listing is Google Product Support Forum.

Let us know if it helped you, or you found something interesting.

Regards
9 years ago
Thank You, Krunal, I appreciate your input. This is very helpful. If I learn anything of interest, I will certainly check back here and share it...Thanks again.
9 years ago
AMCAR wrote:
Thank You, Krunal, I appreciate your input. This is very helpful. If I learn anything of interest, I will certainly check back here and share it...Thanks again.

Hi,

Glad to know its helpful to you! I will wait for your update, pls share if you find something of interest!

Regards,
Krunal
9 years ago
Hi,

Default nopCommerce product pages has support for rich text snippets with star ratings.

To check if your pages has correct rich text snippets (schema / microformats), you can use this tool for testing.

And the best place to ask why the rich text snippets are disappeared from your google listing is Google Product Support Forum.

Let us know if it helped you, or you found something interesting.

Regards

Hi Krunal,

I just ran a test and found that our reviews pages (linked from every product page where we have customer-entered reviews) has no structured data present. I would like to understand how to incorporate that code - this page is database driven, I believe (customer enters a review, we approve, and they all show up on a page that I have no individual control over. Is this something that can be applied by our programmer? Also wondereed about our product review page URLs - With a previous NopCommerce upgrade, SEO friendly URLs had been implemented, but when a user clicks on the reviews from that page the URL is structured as:

zzz.com/ProductReviews/1234

with the number as the unique product identifier. Is there a way to convert these to friendly URLs as well?

Many thanks - I apologize if this is difficult to understand - I am not a programmer and not as well versed in the proper language. Your guidance is most appreciated.
9 years ago
AMCAR wrote:

Hi Krunal,

I just ran a test and found that our reviews pages (linked from every product page where we have customer-entered reviews) has no structured data present. I would like to understand how to incorporate that code - this page is database driven, I believe (customer enters a review, we approve, and they all show up on a page that I have no individual control over. Is this something that can be applied by our programmer? Also wondereed about our product review page URLs - With a previous NopCommerce upgrade, SEO friendly URLs had been implemented, but when a user clicks on the reviews from that page the URL is structured as:

zzz.com/ProductReviews/1234

with the number as the unique product identifier. Is there a way to convert these to friendly URLs as well?

Many thanks - I apologize if this is difficult to understand - I am not a programmer and not as well versed in the proper language. Your guidance is most appreciated.

I just checked with default nopCommerce and found that on this page where reviews for product is displayed in details - rich snippet is not implemented.  Also the SEO friendly URLs are not available here.

However, it might not be necessary for Google to fetch reviews from review detail page using rich snippet.. as reviews rating which is available on product details page implemented as rich snippet are good enough for it to generate structured data for its index.

Moreover, its fairly easy to implement as all you need is to make changes in to the view page / template by adding particular classes. I recommend you to go through this if you're doing it yourself.  Here is the direct link for markup required for reviews.

Hope it helps you!

Regards,
Krunal
9 years ago
Again, I thank you for the kind support, Krunal. I appreciate it very much. I have passed this on to our programmer, too...
All best,
Amy
9 years ago
AMCAR wrote:
Again, I thank you for the kind support, Krunal. I appreciate it very much. I have passed this on to our programmer, too...
All best,
Amy

Hi Amy,

Glad it helped you!

If you face any issue make sure to share in this community.

Krunal
9 years ago
Hi Krunal,

I did check in with Google Webmaster forum and received a very informative reply back, so I wanted to post here to let you all know!  It appears that there could be a better way to present the structured data. In your opinion, is this something our programmer might be able to edit or is it automated in NopCommerce?  Thanks in advance for your help. See below for suggestions.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I found a product page with reviews and the markup looks good. The only minor change I would make is for the price markup, the dollar symbol shouldn't appear in the price value, see current markup below. Having said this, I don't believe the rich snippets disappeared because of the $ symbol.

<span  itemprop="price">$<span class="price-val-for-dyn-upd-275">549.99</span>

I would mark it up like this:

$<span  itemprop="price"><span class="price-val-for-dyn-upd-275">549.99</span>

Or like this:

<span  itemprop="price" content="549.99">$<span class="price-val-for-dyn-upd-275">549.99</span>

Btw, I noticed you didn't add the itemprop="mpn" attribute for the manufacturer's part number, was this intentional because it's the same as the sku number?

I would consider marking up the availability in Offer type, for example, see below.

<link itemprop="availability" href="http://schema.org/InStock"/>

Please see a list of other specific types for availability below.

Discontinued
InStock
InStoreOnly
LimitedAvailability
OnlineOnly
OutOfStock
PreOrder
SoldOut

Sample Offer markup, which includes nesting in seller and availability:

The following links:

<link itemprop="seller" href="seller_info"/>
<link itemprop="availability" href="http://schema.org/InStock"/>

would need to be added immediately after the following line of markup:

<div class="prices" itemprop="offers" itemscope itemtype="http://schema.org/Offer">

The first link above is used to correctly nest the Store type in Offer. The content isn't displayed where the Offer type is marked up on the page, using this type of link, links the two types together.

And the following is the Store type with nested PostalAddress:

<div class="footer" itemid="seller_info" itemscope="" itemtype="http://schema.org/Store">

<link itemprop="url" href="http://www.nhproequip.com/"/>

<meta itemprop="telephone" content="6032342612"/>

<meta itemprop="telephone" content="6032190060"/>

<meta itemprop="email" content="[email protected]"/>

<div class="footer-top">

<div class="our-location">

<div class="footer-heading">Visit us</div>

<ul itemprop="address" itemscope="" itemtype="http://schema.org/PostalAddress">

<li><span itemprop="streetAddress">1298 Rte 3A</span> <span itemprop="addressLocality">Bow</span>, <span itemprop="addressRegion">NH</span> <span itemprop="postalCode">03304</span></li>

</ul>

<a href="/contactus">View Map</a>

</div>

<div class="about-us">

<div class="footer-heading">About Clark</div>

<span itemprop="description">A former longtime and highly successful Snap-On dealer, <span itemprop="name" content-"Clark Heintz Tools & Equipment, LLC">Clark Heintz</span> has a thorough understanding and expert knowledge of auto tools and equipment. We ALWAYS guarantee the highest level of customer service.</span>

</div>

Also wanted to mention, the description you've marked up is quite lengthy. It should be a short description, the following might be more appropriate (the current one will get truncated in the search result).

Versa-Cut Plasma Cutter 40 easily slices through materials up to 3/8" thick, and it works anywhere with a 110v or 220v outlet.

Almost, forgot to mention, the information is displayed on the page therefore you might want to also consider marking up the brand and/or manufacturer, see below.

<span class="label">Manufacturer:</span>        

<span class="value" itemprop="brand manufacturer" itemscope="" itemtype="http://schema.org/Organization">              

<a itemprop="url" href="/eastwood-plasma-cutters-and-welders"><span itemprop="name">Eastwood</span></a>

</span>"
9 years ago
Hi,

Thanks for sharing the same.

I think your programmer should be able to do this easily.

Regards,
Krunal
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.