Information sidebar topic question - Link display and content

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
14 years ago
I'm working on setting up my first nopCommerce store. I've figured out most of the configuration issues I've run into thanks to the forum, but I've run into one I can't find an answer to here. I've never worked with ASP.Net or nopCommerce before, but I've played a little with PHp, RoR and ZenCart. My current boss is using a Windows server, so I get to learn something new. Unfortunately, we're hosting with GoDaddy so if the solution requires full trust, I guess we're SOL.

I need two additional links to show in the Information sidebar. One shows up perfectly in the sidebar (Puzzle Ring History), and the content displays correctly when the link is clicked. The second link is configured the same way, with the necessary attributes changed and different content. The second link displays in the sidebar as content.puzzleringinstructions and when clicked loads with a blank content area where the content should be.

So far I've referenced these topics in the forums here to get as far as I have:
https://www.nopcommerce.com/boards/topic.aspx?topicid=3151&p=1
https://www.nopcommerce.com/boards/topic.aspx?topicid=3051

I'll post the code I've used in a follow up post so this is easy to read. I'm developing live, unfortunately. My boss doesn't have any web development software on her PC. I've got Dreamweaver on my Mac, but I can't create a Windows virtual server on it - or at least haven't figured out how.

I have set up the topics PuzzleRingHistory and PuzzleRingInstructions, and added content through the Topics Interface. I've created PageTitle.PuzzleRingHistory and PageTitle.PuzzleRingInstructions in the Localization interface. I've created PuzzleRingHistory.aspx & PuzzleRingHistory.aspx.cs and PuzzleRingInstructions.aspx & PuzzleRingInstructions.aspx.cs using AboutUs.aspx & AboutUs.aspx.cs as a template. (I don't know enough yet to set up my own master pages, so I left the inherit alone.) I've added the links to InfoBlock.acsx.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Update
I deleted all the files associated with PuzzleRingInstructions, along with the topic and PageTitle. Then I recreated them. Now the link works, but still displays as content.puzzleringinstructions.
14 years ago
Here's the code I have so far. I don't know how to access the information for what I've configure through the Administration interface, but I'll be happy to post it if someone will tell me how.

PuzzleRingHistory.aspx

<%@ Page Language="C#" MasterPageFile="~/MasterPages/TwoColumn.master" AutoEventWireup="true"
Inherits="NopSolutions.NopCommerce.Web.AboutUsPage" Codebehind="PuzzleRingHistory.aspx.cs" %>

<%@ Register TagPrefix="nopCommerce" TagName="Topic" Src="~/Modules/Topic.ascx" %>
<asp:Content ID="Content1" ContentPlaceHolderID="cph1" runat="Server">
    <nopCommerce:Topic ID="topicPuzzleRingHistory" runat="server" TopicName="PuzzleRingHistory">
    </nopCommerce:Topic>
</asp:Content>

PuzzleRingHistory.aspx.cs

//------------------------------------------------------------------------------
// The contents of this file are subject to the nopCommerce Public License Version 1.0 ("License"); you may not use this file except in compliance with the License.
// You may obtain a copy of the License at  https://www.nopcommerce.com/License.aspx.
//
// Software distributed under the License is distributed on an "AS IS" basis, WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, either express or implied.
// See the License for the specific language governing rights and limitations under the License.
//
// The Original Code is nopCommerce.
// The Initial Developer of the Original Code is NopSolutions.
// All Rights Reserved.
//
// Contributor(s): _______.
//------------------------------------------------------------------------------

using System;
using System.Collections;
using System.Collections.Generic;
using System.Configuration;
using System.Data;
using System.Text;
using System.Web;
using System.Web.Caching;
using System.Web.Security;
using System.Web.UI;
using System.Web.UI.HtmlControls;
using System.Web.UI.WebControls;
using System.Web.UI.WebControls.WebParts;
using NopSolutions.NopCommerce.BusinessLogic;
using NopSolutions.NopCommerce.BusinessLogic.Localization;
using NopSolutions.NopCommerce.BusinessLogic.Payment;
using NopSolutions.NopCommerce.BusinessLogic.SEO;
using NopSolutions.NopCommerce.Common.Utils;

namespace NopSolutions.NopCommerce.Web
{
    public partial class AboutUsPage : BaseNopPage
    {
        protected void Page_Load(object sender, EventArgs e)
        {
            if (!Page.IsPostBack)
            {
                CommonHelper.EnsureNonSSL();
            }

string title = GetLocaleResourceString("PageTitle.PuzzleRingHistory");
            SEOHelper.RenderTitle(this, title, true);
        }
    }
}

PuzzleRingInstructions.aspx

<%@ Page Language="C#" MasterPageFile="~/MasterPages/TwoColumn.master" AutoEventWireup="true"
    Inherits="NopSolutions.NopCommerce.Web.AboutUsPage" Codebehind="PuzzleRingInstructions.aspx.cs" %>

<%@ Register TagPrefix="nopCommerce" TagName="Topic" Src="~/Modules/Topic.ascx" %>
<asp:Content ID="Content1" ContentPlaceHolderID="cph1" runat="Server">
    <nopCommerce:Topic ID="topicPuzzleRingInstructions" runat="server" TopicName="PuzzleRingInstructions">
    </nopCommerce:Topic>
</asp:Content>

PuzzleRingInstructions.aspx.cs

// The contents of this file are subject to the nopCommerce Public License Version 1.0 ("License"); you may not use this file except in compliance with the License.
// You may obtain a copy of the License at  https://www.nopcommerce.com/License.aspx.
//
// Software distributed under the License is distributed on an "AS IS" basis, WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, either express or implied.
// See the License for the specific language governing rights and limitations under the License.
//
// The Original Code is nopCommerce.
// The Initial Developer of the Original Code is NopSolutions.
// All Rights Reserved.
//
// Contributor(s): _______.

using System;
using System.Collections;
using System.Collections.Generic;
using System.Configuration;
using System.Data;
using System.Text;
using System.Web;
using System.Web.Caching;
using System.Web.Security;
using System.Web.UI;
using System.Web.UI.HtmlControls;
using System.Web.UI.WebControls;
using System.Web.UI.WebControls.WebParts;
using NopSolutions.NopCommerce.BusinessLogic;
using NopSolutions.NopCommerce.BusinessLogic.Localization;
using NopSolutions.NopCommerce.BusinessLogic.Payment;
using NopSolutions.NopCommerce.BusinessLogic.SEO;
using NopSolutions.NopCommerce.Common.Utils;

namespace NopSolutions.NopCommerce.Web
{
    public partial class AboutUsPage : BaseNopPage
    {
        protected void Page_Load(object sender, EventArgs e)
        {
            if (!Page.IsPostBack)
            {
                CommonHelper.EnsureNonSSL();
            }

string title = GetLocaleResourceString("PageTitle.PuzzleRingInstructions");
            SEOHelper.RenderTitle(this, title, true);
        }
    }
}

InfoBlock.ascx

<%@ Control Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="true" Inherits="NopSolutions.NopCommerce.Web.Modules.InfoBlockControl"
    CodeBehind="InfoBlock.ascx.cs" %>
<div class="infoblock-navigation">
    <div class="title">
        <%=GetLocaleResourceString("Content.Information")%>
    </div>
    <div class="clear">
    </div>
    <div class="listbox">
        <ul>
            <li><a href="<%=Page.ResolveUrl("~/PuzzleRingInstructions.aspx")%>">
                <%=GetLocaleResourceString("Content.PuzzleRingInstructions")%></a> </li>
            <li><a href="<%=Page.ResolveUrl("~/PuzzleRingHistory.aspx")%>">
                <%=GetLocaleResourceString("Content.PuzzleRingHistory")%></a> </li>
            <li><a href="<%=Page.ResolveUrl("~/ContactUs.aspx")%>">
                <%=GetLocaleResourceString("ContactUs.ContactUs")%></a> </li>
            <li><a href="<%=Page.ResolveUrl("~/AboutUs.aspx")%>">
                <%=GetLocaleResourceString("Content.AboutUs")%></a></li>
            <% if (BlogManager.BlogEnabled)
               { %>
            <li><a href="<%=Page.ResolveUrl("~/Blog.aspx")%>">
                <%=GetLocaleResourceString("Blog.Blog")%></a></li>
            <%} %>
            <% if (ForumManager.ForumsEnabled)
               { %>
            <li><a href="<%= SEOHelper.GetForumMainURL()%> ">
                <%=GetLocaleResourceString("Forum.Forums")%></a></li>
            <%} %>
            <% if (ProductManager.RecentlyAddedProductsEnabled)
               { %>
            <li><a href="<%=Page.ResolveUrl("~/RecentlyAddedProducts.aspx")%>">
                <%=GetLocaleResourceString("Products.NewProducts")%></a></li>
            <%} %>
            <% if (ProductManager.RecentlyViewedProductsEnabled)
               { %>
            <li><a href="<%=Page.ResolveUrl("~/RecentlyViewedProducts.aspx")%>">
                <%=GetLocaleResourceString("Products.RecentlyViewedProducts")%></a></li>
            <%} %>
            <% if (ProductManager.CompareProductsEnabled)
               { %>
            <li><a href="<%=Page.ResolveUrl("~/CompareProducts.aspx")%>">
                <%=GetLocaleResourceString("Products.CompareProductsList")%></a></li>
            <%} %>
            <li><a href="<%=Page.ResolveUrl("~/ShippingInfo.aspx")%>">
                <%=GetLocaleResourceString("Content.Shipping&Returns")%></a></li>
            <li><a href="<%=Page.ResolveUrl("~/PrivacyInfo.aspx")%>">
                <%=GetLocaleResourceString("Content.PrivacyNotice")%></a></li>
            <li><a href="<%=Page.ResolveUrl("~/ConditionsInfo.aspx")%>">
                <%=GetLocaleResourceString("Content.ConditionsOfUse")%></a></li>
        </ul>
    </div>
</div>
14 years ago
hi, can you check that the topic definately exist and its name is exactly as it appears in the .aspx pages

PuzzleRingInstructions.aspx
<nopCommerce:Topic ID="topicPuzzleRingInstructions" runat="server" TopicName="PuzzleRingInstructions">

PuzzleRingHistory.aspx
<nopCommerce:Topic ID="topicPuzzleRingHistory" runat="server" TopicName="PuzzleRingHistory"> </nopCommerce:Topic>

also, you can download development software for free at microsoft website - search for web platform installer
14 years ago
Hi, Haydie.

Yes, the resources PuzzleRingInstructions and Puzzle Ring History definitely exist. I've double checked. Here are the links to the instructions page http://puzzleringmaster.com/puzzleringmaster/PuzzleRingInstructions.aspx and the history page http://puzzleringmaster.com/puzzleringmaster/PuzzleRingHistory.aspx

You can look at the site at http://www.puzzleringmaster.com It's still a work in progress. I've also added a couple of other topics per my boss's request and am running into the same issue.

I've found a slight work around so the links show up but uncapitalized. I don't know why it works, but it does.  I changed Content.PuzzleRingInstructions to Puzzle Ring Instructions, and so on. Those links show up as puzzle ring instructions, etc. in the Info sidebar. Content.PuzzleRingHistory shows up correctly as Puzzle Ring History in the Information side bar.

Any further ideas?

I'll check on the free development software from Microsoft. Thanks for the response and info.
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.