Upgrade from 3.50 to 3.60

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
8 years ago
CarpeDiem wrote:
I just really dont know how to run this upgrade script on smarterasp. Also where pictures are saved from products. If anyone know and have 5 mins to help I will be more then thankful.

Images(Media) are stored in the database.

Configuration > Settings > Media Settings > Pictures are stored into: database

You could change that to store them locally. NOTE: Do not forget to backup your database before changing this option!
8 years ago
Dev12 wrote:
I just really dont know how to run this upgrade script on smarterasp. Also where pictures are saved from products. If anyone know and have 5 mins to help I will be more then thankful.

Images(Media) are stored in the database.

Configuration > Settings > Media Settings > Pictures are stored into: database

You could change that to store them locally. NOTE: Do not forget to backup your database before changing this option!

Already fixed all. Anyway thank u for help and time. This will help to somebody.
8 years ago
I upgraded nop 3.40 to 3.60 as mentioned in the docs I first upgraded to 3.50 and then to 3.60. Everything is working fine on my local machine I tested it locally. But now when I deploy this to godaddy server it navigates to error page. I am not understanding why is this happening so. Because nothing has been changed on the code. Similary I tried to download NOP commerce no source code version (published version) and tried to upload and run with go daddy but still facing the same issue.

I have given all permissions and even settings.txt and plugins.txt has also been replaced.

Do anyone have any suggestion why it is navigating to error page?
8 years ago
nitin.671 wrote:
I upgraded nop 3.40 to 3.60 as mentioned in the docs I first upgraded to 3.50 and then to 3.60. Everything is working fine on my local machine I tested it locally. But now when I deploy this to godaddy server it navigates to error page. I am not understanding why is this happening so. Because nothing has been changed on the code. Similary I tried to download NOP commerce no source code version (published version) and tried to upload and run with go daddy but still facing the same issue.

I have given all permissions and even settings.txt and plugins.txt has also been replaced.

Do anyone have any suggestion why it is navigating to error page?

A lot of ppl who use nop on godaddy have issues. I know at least 5 ppl. I manage 4 websites and all of them are hosted on www.smarterasp.net and never had any issue.
8 years ago
Try to update .NET cache in IIS.
Open Global.asax in site root folder, and add spacebar to the end of the file.
8 years ago
The upgrade instructions should also include UNISTALL ALL PLUGINS BEFORE PERFORMING UPGRADE.
Custom plug-ins often vary between versions. Also, funny things can happen when you run the upgrade script on your SQL server if you have custom plug-ins installed.
Case in point. NOP-Templates premium plug-in pack (or perhaps another plugin I have) seems to have caused multiple system customer roles to be created during an upgrade from nop 3.4 to 3.5 to 3.6.
It is quite a pain to uninstall all plugins, upgrade, and then re-install new plug-in versions, but it seems that this is the best practice for performing nop upgrades.

For those of you wondering what "run the upgrade script against your database" means, you need to be able to log into your SQL server and use SQL Server Management Studio to do this. Open the upgrade script by double-clicking the upgrade script file when you have SSMS open, and insure you have the database you want to update selected in the top menu bar. Then hit the ! button to execute the script against the database.  Note: You MUST be able to use rconsole and connect to your SERVER running SQL server or SQL Express and have SSMS installed on it to be able to do this. Many hosting accounts do not provide this level of access to the database server.  

Also, if you are running custom plug-ins on nop, you will find out fairly quickly that most hosting accounts do not provide enough app pool memory to run them, and you will go through weeks or months of tech support calls to your hosting provider to try to solve the issue, even though they know perfectly well what the problem is. THEY DO NOT PROVIDE SUFFICIENT APP POOL MEMORY WITH BASIC OR EVEN "PRO" HOSTING ACCOUNTS. You will know if this is your problem if you go to the nop system log and see constant system re-starts in the log.  After you are completely out of options, they will try to upsell you to a VPS account, saying that is your only option.  SHAME ON NOP FOR HAVING ARVI$$ LISTED AS A TOP PROVIDER! THEY ARE NOT IF YOU INTEND TO RUN ANY PLUG-INS ON YOUR NOP INSTALLATION!  (unless you want to spend $250/month for a VPS plan with them.)  I started my own hosting company JUST BECAUSE OF THIS VERY ISSUE!  rlmec.us  Problem solved. (after investing over $30K on servers and infrastructure to do so)
8 years ago
I have upgraded 3.4 to 3.6 by db script. I have maked a back up database. Then restore it to local pc. Then upgraded it. During upgradation I have seen stored procedure are not working. Solving it manually. Download fresh version of nopcommerce 3.60. Install it by creating new db. Then replace connection string. Checking my website is fully worked or not. At last I restored my upgraded db to live site.
This is my personal experience how to upgrade it. And dont use 3.6 db with older theme you will get error
7 years ago
Guys I need help on this. I'm following th instructions from http://docs.nopcommerce.com/display/nc/Upgrading+nopCommerce, but I'm not sure what this means:

#5: Remove all files from the previous version. As you deploy, make sure that the target App_Data\Settings.txt and App_Data\InstalledPlugins.txt files aren't overwritten, so that the production site continues to point to the production database.

What files should I remove?
7 years ago
dyoll wrote:
Guys I need help on this. I'm following th instructions from http://docs.nopcommerce.com/display/nc/Upgrading+nopCommerce, but I'm not sure what this means:

#5: Remove all files from the previous version. As you deploy, make sure that the target App_Data\Settings.txt and App_Data\InstalledPlugins.txt files aren't overwritten, so that the production site continues to point to the production database.

Say I'm upgrading from 3.70 to 3.80 I'll do this

1. Run upgrade script over my database.

2. Create a folder on my desktop called Temp, copy in the InstalledPlugins.txt and Settings.txt into my Temp folder.

3. Go to where I have downloaded and extracted 3.80(no source) select all the files then copy / paste them over my existing 3.70 files.

4. Go back to my Temp folder on my desktop then copy / paste the InstalledPlugins.txt and Settings.txt back into the App Data folder.
7 years ago
dyoll wrote:

In Addition with Mr JHopper,

==>Make a backup of everything in your site, including the database. This is extremely important so that you can roll back to a running site no matter what happens during migration.

Go through===>http://docs.nopcommerce.com/display/nc/Upgrading+nopCommerce
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.