Visual Studio, NopCommerce and debugging.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
8 years ago
Hello,

Before I get to the issue, I understand that there has been many threads started for this specific issue but a lot of these threads have no solution. They are filled with users questioning the OP.

We have nopCommerce (3.1) currently live, and it there no issues with it.

We have the latest version of nopCommerce (3.6) on a test server and wishing to upgrade our current live site to the latest version.

My problem is that when I am testing nop commerce through visual studio, absolutely everything is slow. Starting the debug process (F5), loading any page, and installing plugins takes around an hour per plugin. As you can imagine, this is not viable for development as I am going to spend the entire day watching nop commerce tell me that its "installing plugin". Then the next day I can get around to testing the new theme, and at this rate I have no idea how long that will take with the given performance. It took an entire day just to get to 3.6 from 3.1, its that slow.

I am aware that when debugging, starting up nop takes some time.  

Are there any settings anywhere that I can change for this performance to be fixed while debugging? I will repeat, we DO NOT have this issue on the live server. I just downloaded the most recent version of nop and added nothing but sevenspikes plugins (only 3 are installed, 4th is still installing), and its a snail. Example problem I have found is if you watch the Output from Visual Studio, you will notice that it repeats operations a lot. "Creating shadow copy folder and querying for dlls" is being called multiple times at random points (even when Im not installing plguins). Why exactly is nop recreating a shadow copy folder and querying for the dlls over and over again? I dont think this is a bug, but some settings for debugging only.

Is there any easy fix for horrible performance in visual studio?

I do not have this problem with any other solution in VS whether its made from our developers or a 3rd party vendor.

The NOP solution I have is the same as the one you can download from https://www.nopcommerce.com/downloads.aspx
with the only addition of sevensspikes plugins that are currently being installed. Extra note, it was this slow before I even inserted the new plugins into the plugins folder, so the plugins in my opinion arent part of the problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
8 years ago
I can't help you with an answer to your problem, but I can contrast with our experience which is that it takes perhaps a minute for us to start a debugging session - and we have the seven spikes plugins in our solution as well.
8 years ago
Hello,

Thanks for your reply. Do you by chance remember facing issues when installing those plugins?

Thanks for your time, I greatly appreciate it.
8 years ago
Less than a minute to debug here as well.

Have a look at your VS settings to double check you aren't downloading the symbols every time you start debugging. Sometimes this is set to download your settings from the microsoft symbol server every debug session.
8 years ago
MrKeeame wrote:
Hello,

Thanks for your reply. Do you by chance remember facing issues when installing those plugins?

No - and as a developer we work on multiple solutions. We have an unlimited license for those plugins and use them on all our projects, and none of our VS solutions take more than a minute to run up in debug mode.

When developing plugins (which is primarily my role), you have to do constant rebuilds and it would be unsustainable if it took the time you're experiencing
8 years ago
MrKeeame wrote:
Hello,

No - and as a developer we work on multiple solutions. We have an unlimited license for those plugins and use them on all our projects, and none of our VS solutions take more than a minute to run up in debug mode.

When developing plugins (which is primarily my role), you have to do constant rebuilds and it would be unsustainable if it took the time you're experiencing
8 years ago
craig.smith wrote:
Less than a minute to debug here as well.

Have a look at your VS settings to double check you aren't downloading the symbols every time you start debugging. Sometimes this is set to download your settings from the microsoft symbol server every debug session.

Thanks, I'll look into that.

And thanks again Tony for replying.

I appreciate the help guys.
8 years ago
Even tho I never found a solution for this, here is how I got around it.

I hosted our nop site locally on IIS (in my case, it was just on another server)

This way I could make my changes, recompile, and the changes went through, and now it takes several seconds to just load the website or switch pages.

I never did find a solution for the horrible performance when just debugging through visual studio.

Thanks for your replies guys and your help.
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.