What is the Best Practice / Approach to Customising the Home Page on version 1.5?

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
14 years ago
Hi,

Can anyone help with clarifying how to customise the HOME PAGE.

Whilst I could implement any one of the following options, what is the best and recommended way of doing it.

Clearly a peek at the source code for ePlants shows they must have created a NEW Default.aspx page.

So,
1) should we embed all the HTML code into a Topic (the HomePageText), or
2) should we replace the Default.aspx page with something similar and hack the source code etc. or
3) should we figure out how to make Themes work for us. or

Is there some other way we should do it.

Regards
14 years ago
personally, i wouldn't embed too much html in a topic, for a start, it can be difficult to read an alter

but a fantastic site like eplants will have a lot of customisation - in the masterpages,  .aspx pages and in the various modules - not to mention the various product and category templates and of course the c#

I'm sure people  have a million different ways of achieving results and that could easliy include a mixture of the three you suggest - you sound like you are confident about getting your hands dirty ...

https://www.nopcommerce.com/boards/topic.aspx?topicid=3970
14 years ago
For me, one of the great things about nop is the flexibility and control of content.

For example, I've done pages that are exactly as they came with the core build, I've got pages with several 'topics' on them, used to define different areas of content (and topics can be anywhere: in aspx. master or even other controls) and even as 'placeholders' for Ajax rotating galleries.

One thing I always like to ensure is that I don't 'break' too much of the standard code. I tend to create a lot of my own templates for the catalogue (as nop is intending we do) rather than hack up the default controls and I guess this practice follows through with any part of the site, whether controls, pages or masters.

/have fun
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.