suggestion: switch custom errors off by default

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
13 years ago
a couple of suggestions:

1) i suggest replacing    'unnamed product variant' string    with    'default product variant'

2) in web.config,  set custom errors to off by default with a little descriptive text about switching it back on again once the store is running:

eg

<!-- Custom errors are off by default, you should enable them once your store is running -->

<customErrors mode="Off" />

<!--    <customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="ErrorPage.htm">
      <error statusCode="403" redirect="BannedAddress.htm"/>
      <error statusCode="404" redirect="FileNotFound.htm"/>
    </customErrors>
-->
13 years ago
2) Already changed for the next release
13 years ago
haydie wrote:
1) i suggest replacing    'unnamed product variant' string    with    'default product variant'

2) in web.config,  set custom errors to off by default with a little descriptive text about switching it back on again once the store is running:

eg

<!-- Custom errors are off by default, you should enable them once your store is running -->

<customErrors mode="Off" />

<!--    <customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="ErrorPage.htm">
      <error statusCode="403" redirect="BannedAddress.htm"/>
      <error statusCode="404" redirect="FileNotFound.htm"/>
    </customErrors>
-->

Hello Hayden

could you please explain me what's the point in making customErrors mode = "ON" ?
i never changed my webconfig file and my website is running live, what problem i can face if my customerErrors mode =off ?
is it ok if website is running fine without making changes in webconfig file ?
13 years ago
hi mike

the suggestion was simply because a lot of new users get the 'set custome errors off to find the problem' message when they first use the software - then they have to find an answer to that question before they address what is causing the problem - by setting it to off initially, they will get the software up and running faster
13 years ago
as i meantioned above:

i never changed my webconfig file and my website is running live, what problem i can face if my customerErrors mode =off ?
is it ok if website is running fine without making changes in webconfig file ?
13 years ago
mike
no problems if it is 'off' but iis will generate a full error page which users will see
that is why you want to switch them on in a production environment (because once the store is running, you can view errors in the log)
if you made no changes then you have no worries - until now, custom errors are on by default
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.