SUGGESTION - Better image management, quality, and compression

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
13 years ago
If you look at the modified layout of our store, we have a new product page that uses a "wide" main image. Implementing this has raised a few challenges and possibilities for improvements.

1. The big image looks great as the main one on the product page, but looks terrible in the product listings pages. Need ability to designate a different image for these two duties. (compare the product page here: http://www.deadlywind.com/products/88-fibur-cf-barrel.aspx  to the first image on the product details page here: http://www.deadlywind.com/manufacturer/1-deadlywind.aspx

2. the dynamic image resizing is great, but I created the original image for the product page to be exaclty 930 pixels wide... since the store doesnt save the original exactly as uploaded, it apparently resamples it and saves it.. Then when the store requests a 930px image, it shows up grainy and blurry... AND it is twice the size! I manually went and overwrote the stored image with the original one just to get the size back down and the quality back up.

3. I was originally working with PNG images so i could use transparency, but the store converts them to jpgs. I then changed the code so it would handle png (and gifs), but the compression turned out to be terrible on these... the same image on that produce pages was about 350kb... so I just resorted back to using jpg for now.

Thanks!
13 years ago
looks like part of my problem was the max image size was set to only 600, so it was forcing a downsample, and then a following upsample. The increase in image size is still a problem though.

One more followup to this - Would be nice to allow uploading anumber of pictures for a product, and be able to activate/deactivate different ones. I don't much like having the image be immediately live as soon as I upload it.
13 years ago
And one more item ;)

Can we allow adding text to each image, as a caption if desired.

AND- enable setting the name and title of each image for SEO purposes.
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.