Google Webmaster Tools/Sitemap - force SSL

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
7 years ago
Hello-

I have recently changed our website behavior to force all traffic into an SSL connection. My question relates to Google Webmaster Tools (now Search Console) and our currently registered sitemap. I found their documentation regarding creating a new property in Search Console and registering a new sitemap including the secure URL's.

Their docs do not, however, give any indication as to WHEN it's best to delete the other, non-SSL, property and sitemap.

I am hesitant to delete the original property and sitemap until the new secure URL's are indexed because I don't want to cripple our organic search results, but on the other hand, I am hesitant to wait until the new secure URL's are indexed for fear that Google will see it as duplicate content and penalize us.

Does anyone know which is best?

Thanks!
7 years ago
I think you are safe if you have setup the "Enable canonical URLs" on.  When this is on, Google should pickup the redirection to the encrypted url and since it is set as the canonical, there won't be any risk of Google thinking is a dupe.

Just leave the two versions of the site map URL in there for a few weeks and then remove the unencrypted, it will be fine.

If anything Google will praise you with better rankings if you encrypt your website.

Also, I recommend an extended validation cert, if you don't already have one, so the Address bar goes all green, like at your banks!

Cheers!
7 years ago
Good point about canonical URL's!

Yes, I agree, EV is the only way to go if you're doing e-commerce.

Thanks, Chris!
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.