Using Catagories as nested Topics

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
13 years ago
Well, just got my store up and running in 1.5 and 1.6 comes out - I've done a bit of hacking so not sure about an upgrade just now - hows that for timing :(( grrr....

Anyway... to the point of this post. There has been some discussion about better content management side for NOPC here and there on the forums, particularly requests for nested topics. Well, I have got around this fairly painlessly by putting all my content in Catagory pages instead of Topic pages - in fact I have removed the topic navigation from the left hand menu pane and just use the catagories instead. It seems to work fine, and I'm not sure if there is a downside, so I thought I'd just share so that others could give it a go if it suits their need (or you can shoot me down if I've done something really dumb but just not seen it yet ;)

To see what I mean, check it out at http://scientologypoole.org.uk - Its not entirely finished and there is lots more content I am planning on adding, but there's enough there to get it going. The 'store' bit is really just the 'Bookstore' catagory - all the rest are just info pages, nested.

In the long term, I guess it wouldn't be too much trouble to make the topics act like the catagories (mostly just copying over the whole catagory editing/mapping system to topics)... but that, as they say, is another day.
13 years ago
Hey Stuart - thanks for this - simple and ingenious solution, just what I needed!
:0)
13 years ago
stuartp wrote:
Well, just got my store up and running in 1.5 and 1.6 comes out - I've done a bit of hacking so not sure about an upgrade just now - hows that for timing :(( grrr....

Anyway... to the point of this post. There has been some discussion about better content management side for NOPC here and there on the forums, particularly requests for nested topics. Well, I have got around this fairly painlessly by putting all my content in Catagory pages instead of Topic pages - in fact I have removed the topic navigation from the left hand menu pane and just use the catagories instead. It seems to work fine, and I'm not sure if there is a downside, so I thought I'd just share so that others could give it a go if it suits their need (or you can shoot me down if I've done something really dumb but just not seen it yet ;)

To see what I mean, check it out at http://scientologypoole.org.uk - Its not entirely finished and there is lots more content I am planning on adding, but there's enough there to get it going. The 'store' bit is really just the 'Bookstore' catagory - all the rest are just info pages, nested.

In the long term, I guess it wouldn't be too much trouble to make the topics act like the catagories (mostly just copying over the whole catagory editing/mapping system to topics)... but that, as they say, is another day.

Feedback
1) Your website and the content of your website looks nice
2) On this page "http://scientologypoole.org.uk/Login.aspx", it still says " By creating an account at nopCommerce ", i guess that needs to be update with your store name
13 years ago
Thanks for the feedback Mike - there are so many little things here and there I keep finding which I somehow missed before. Details, details... ;)
Glad you found it useful Emanresu.
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.