Need to RE-install

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
13 years ago
I pulled version 1.60 of the code down and compiled it, ran it on my development environment, and made a few tweaks to the code that I needed to make.  In the process, I went through the installation wizard on my dev box.

Now, however, I want to publish the site to an actual web host, and I need to use a different SQL server as well.  But I can't seem to figure out how to force the system to let me rerun the installation.  I reset the "connectionstrings.config" file back to its default state, but apparently that's not enough.  Instead of letting me back into the installation, I get an error "Parser Error Message: The connection name 'LocalSqlServer' was not found in the applications configuration or the connection string is empty."

What am I doing wrong?
13 years ago
Hi,

As I can see you are using connection string named "LocalSqlServer" instead of standard "NopSqlConnection". In this case you should change the NopConfig configuration section(web.config).
13 years ago
That's interesting, because I actually didn't change any code relating to the connection string at all.  And furthermore, replacing the connection strings file on my local server re-triggers the installation script.  But it doesn't seem to do that when I push the files to production.

I'm going to try to rebuild without setting up the code and then re-pushing everything out to prod and see if that helps.
13 years ago
OK I have figured out the problem.  My hosting provider traps the error "no connection string" and forces the program to halt with error before your redirect to the install page can happen.

So is there anything I can do to override this in nopCommerce?  If, for example, I manually configure the connection string so that it is pointing at an empty database and then I manually run the install script URL, would it work that way perhaps?
13 years ago
OK I guess my last post wasn't entirely accurate.  The problem was something in the "default" machine.config file they use was forcing me to use LocalSqlServer when I didn't want to and somehow didn't allow me to use anything else.  Since I don't fully understand all the relevant .Net topics, I can't be more precise.  Sorry.  But I was able to force things to work by following the following steps:

1) running the install script from my dev box pointing to the production SQL server (to get the installation to actually run)
2) editing the files to use LocalSqlServer and adding a <clear/> tag before it in ConnectionStrings.config
3) copying this up to the server.

May I suggest you may want to consider looking into "installing in shared environments" in the future to make sure machine.config has the proper overrides in the downloaded source so that whatever is actually causing my problem is overridden?  Other than this problem, the hosting provider (WinHost) appears to be a very good one, and I suspect others will run into this problem eventually if you don't fix it first.
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.