UTC publish datetime in product area "customisation"

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
7 years ago
Hi all can you tell me of a good way to add some kind of 'user friendliness' to the "manage products" area, generally I would like to have a way to "globalize" the UI for dates at the very least (because all my admins are geographically in the same area, so they can see the date how they are expecting to see it... it would be nice to tell them they don't have to do timezone conversions in their heads also.

eg: in Product Info (the first tab in product detail page) there are a bunch of datetimes.
like special price from/to and available from/to, these are all in UTC (which is understandable, as the internet knows no timezone) so when I'm in NZ or in China and the product becomes available regardless of the "actual time" in any given region.

From a governance perspective however some products MUST not be available for sale until a given date/time in a specific region and (in my experience) this LEGALITY is usually bound to a specific date/time in a specific "juridiction", so...

I don't mind the "source time" being UTC, but for my users it would be nice to simply add somekind of display that translated the time in the UTC field to a "region/locale" datetime just so the user can visualize without any ambiguity what they are setting is what they think they are setting...

My guess is that since customisation in the Admin site is more limited, that I could perhaps add some custom JS "something" to the admin "bits" and have some kind of css or js popup that showed the UTC time in "local" time or something liek that - even if its not super flexible, we should be able to do something relatively easily no?
7 years ago
I was initially thinking of something simple like this:

$("#AvailableStartDateTimeUtc").on("blur", function()
{var i = $(this);
i.parent().parent().append("L:"  + (new Date(i.val())).toString())});

but was hoping for something more elegant (and that works properly... this seems to just show "time GMT+1111 (region name)" or something and/or some advise on how to apply it more generally than I would need to with this code...?
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.