Can not set up tax

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
6 years ago
Hi,
I can't set up a tax on a product in version 3.9.
Is there a way to set up a tax that is not based on
any address ?
I need to set up a tax only specific products.
Does anybody here knows how to do it ?

If the tax is based on the shipping address where do I
have to set up the tax for EACH country ?
6 years ago
danielb wrote:
Hi,
I can't set up a tax on a product in version 3.9.
Is there a way to set up a tax that is not based on
any address ?
I need to set up a tax only specific products.
Does anybody here knows how to do it ?

If the tax is based on the shipping address where do I
have to set up the tax for EACH country ?

About taxation:
You are only required by the government (local/state/national) in which your store does business from. Usually, governments do not require that you collect tax from customers located in any country other than your own.
In the USA, we are typically only required to collect taxes from customers in the same State as our store...no tax for other states or countries.

I don't know what the laws or tax rates are where your store is located, but I can explain to you a little about how to set it up:
In admin area >> Configuration >> Tax >> Tax Categories you will create any category of products that you do not want to charge tax for or any product in which you want to charge a different tax rate. When adding/editing a product, you can specify the Tax category for that product.

In admin area >> Configuration >> Tax >> Tax Providers
You should have one tax provider already installed, click Configure button.
It is on "FIXED RATE" by default, which is probably what you want if you will charge different rates for different tax categories.

Click Fixed Rate to change to "BY COUNTRY."

For example, if you are in Israel and the laws (i don't know) are that you must charge 8% tax to any other resident of Israel, then you would do this:
select Israel from the country drop down >> leave the * in the "State/Province" field >> leave zip empty >> specify "8.0" as the tax percentage >>

>> if you will have tax categories with different rates, then you must create a new tax rate for each one (same info but different category and percentage)
6 years ago
I have done all that you have written and still when I go to the checkout I don't see any tax applied to the product.
I am sorry , but your answer did not help me.

Also, what I need is a FIXED rate tax, and I tried this and configure a fix rate (for a category I defined before), at the "Configure - Manual (Fixed or By Country/State/Zip)" page.
The problem is that in the Tax Sttings page you can only choose , in the "Tax Based On"
the following options:
Billing Address
Shipping Address
Default Address
But I don't want the tax to be based on any address I only want to apply a fixed tax
to some product, and another fixed tax to another product, etc...

I don't understand why it is not working , it used to be so easy to
set up a tax before , now it is not clear at all, and it does not seem to be working.
6 years ago
Is it possible that a customer ROLE which you are in is set to not be taxed?
Or maybe just the customer account..is it set to be not taxable?

Here's the thing...taxes are dependent on location. Period.
They must not be charged to anyone that is not supposed to pay them. And they must be charge to anyone in a particular region...UNLESS the customer is specifically not to be charged..or unless the customer ROLE is not to be charged..

You can set the percentage to a tax rate for any particular tax category to 0.00 and no tax will be charged for that product, regardless where he lives.

Also, on each product that you do not want to have tax calculated, you can specify "Tax exempt" in the settings.

Maybe what you want is not really a "fixed tax" on some products..but rather a "Handling charge"...this is also in the edit product screen.
6 years ago
OK, now I have found the reason for this. In my administrator user the Tax Exempt was checked.
Now it works.
Thank you very much.

Now to the shipping cost problem that I have :-)
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.