About Web page Design and nopCommerce...

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
13 years ago
Dear all.

Sorry that I have a noob question here. I did a search on this forum but didn't find any answers..

We have our nopCommerce customised (logic) and it's almost ready, but we're missing the web design... So regarding web design, what do we need to tell the web designer?

1) I know nopCommerce uses master pages and CSS, but are there any special rules and style that the designer have to conform to work with nopCommerce?

2) And after we have the design and it looks aesthetically wonderful and such... who should integrate the design into nopCommerce? I mean the web designer don't know about nopCommerce logic, and the programmer usually isn't very good with design. So who shall do what?

My apology again for I'm really a noob in this area. Your kind advise is greatly appreciated.
13 years ago
Fortunately both questions can be answered in one as it's quite simple :)

NopCommerce enforces a good seperation of concerns. Your designer won't have to touch or understand any code - although it would help if he has some basic knowledge of ASP.NET.

What he has to do is create a new skin, which is just CSS. Go into the folder NopCommerceStore\App_Themes, copy one of the themes into a new folder, and then alter it to your heart's content. Activate that skin in Administration\Configuration\Global Settings\Store theme.

If that proves insufficient he can also edit the master pages in NopCommerceStore\MasterPages. And if THAT proves insufficient the individual aspx pages can be edited. (This is all ASP/HTML markup btw, not C#).

If you make changes to master pages and/or aspx files I'd recommend keeping a changelog to help you when it becomes time to upgrade to a new version of NopCommerce.
13 years ago
Thanks for the reply.

And what if we want to change the look/position of the controls like Dropdownlist, Checkbox, etc... I suppose the programmer can do it manually, or is it the job of the designer using CSS?
13 years ago
I think you can do it in styles.css. That file is over 5000 lines long.

I should have mentioned that you can also use your own images, in App_Themes\yourfolder\images.
13 years ago
Some of the changes you're looking for may well require editing the markup in the .aspx pages or very minor C# in code behind. Your designer may be able to do it, your programmer certainly should - and if not u need to rehire quite frankly. The stuff you're asking for is all extremely simple for any web professional.

Btw it's quite amazing what a fully skinned Nop site can look like so I hope you'll let us see it when finished!
13 years ago
Hi kingboyk, thank you once again. Though it may sound simple, your reply has been very helpful, cheers!
13 years ago
Hi there, I really dont mean to repeat this guy's question, but my employer asked me the following questions and i am finding them hard to answer.  

1. How do i go about changing some functionalities of nopcommerce(the code) and add mine, to suit our customers needs of an ecommerce.

2. Explain in full details how to create a design of nopcommerce and how to integrate such design into nop commerce.

I already downloaded the source code, but dont know the first place to start from. Please.  Please note that you are also talking to a novice with no skill on c# and  asp.net, but currently taking a class on java programming. Thank you
13 years ago
Hi there, I really dont mean to repeat this guy's question, but my employer asked me the following questions and i am finding them hard to answer.  

1. How do i go about changing some functionalities of nopcommerce(the code) and add mine, to suit our customers needs of an ecommerce.

2. Explain in full details how to create a design of nopcommerce and how to integrate such design into nop commerce.

I already downloaded the source code, but dont know the first place to start from. Please.  Please note that you are also talking to a novice with no skill on c# and  asp.net, but currently taking a class on java programming. Thank you
13 years ago
Hi There,
     If you can be more specific as to the functionality that you require , that may help people to assist you.
13 years ago
Hello,

I am trying to make changes to the Horizonal Menu from the darkOrage Template and I do not know where to start??

Things I am trying to accomplish are: 1) Remove and Add some new names to the HeaderMenu, including hovering? I have an idea hovering should be modified in the CSS file or am I not on the right track?

This is the link of the site I am working on: http://www.myamericanfurnituregalleries.com/

This is the link to the sample I am trying to implement into my home page of the site ABOVE.

Does anyone have any lead as in how it is done? Many thanks!
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.