SEO for existing site designed by defunkt web design company

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
13 years ago
I have a client who has a website that was designed using nopCommerce.  The company that built the site, did not optimize it properly, has since gone out of business, and the client has asked me to make the necessary changes.

The changes needed involve title, keyword(phrase), and description metas, as well as title and alt tags throughout 40 pages.

Not being at all familiar with nopCommerce, my question is do you foresee a problem simply making the alterations using a typical HTML editor, saving as the pertinent .asp file, and uploading to the directory?

Thanks very much for your assistance!
13 years ago
I'm not sure what all of the 40 pages are, but the home, category, and product pages SEO can be changed from the admin control panel.

Are you familiar with ASP.NET and Visual Studio, and are you working with the nopCommerce nonSource code, or the Source code version.
13 years ago
Thanks for your response!

No and no.  I do not have the original files.  I would hope I could download the files from the host server, open with a HTML editor, or Notepad for that matter, make adjustments, and upload the revised to the server.

Not a problem with HTML, but haven't a clue with ASP.
13 years ago
Even though you do not have the original files, you still have an admin, and that is where you will control the majority of your SEO. You will also need the admin to Add, Edit, and Delete, Categories, Products, etc...

Sounds like you might not have the login info for the admin? If not, you could try the default login info, in the off chance that they did not change or remove it. After the .com of the site, type /Administration. For the email address, the default address is '[email protected]', and the default pasword is 'admin'. If you don't have the login info and the default login info does not work, I am not sure how you would be able to get in. Maybe someone from the NopCommerce team could help with that.

If you had say 20 products, the Products page is actually just one page, that gets populated from data in the database based on the product you choose.

So the only pages you could do the SEO by hand with, would be pages that are static, and those should still be using what is called a MasterPage. This is actually ASP.NET, not classic asp, and it is a whole new ballgame than html and classic asp.

I hope that all makes sense, and let me know if I have helped in anyway, and if I can help any further.
13 years ago
Thanks Paul!

The owners of the site have pretty much left me in the dark, so I have no login info.  They are not IT savvy, so they may have it, and not realize it's important.

I'll let you know what happens...
12 years ago
Sorry, but you need the source files for changing code behind.
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.