Many categories = terrible performance

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
13 years ago
Hi

I've a webshop which sells bank notes and coins from all over the world. I've made a category hierarchy, so that a bank note from Denmark has a category of:
World bank notes -> Europe -> Denmark

In order to have all countries in the world for both coins and bank notes I have a total of over 400 categories. When I edit a product the page size is a whopping 4.2 mb because of the gigantic viewstate.

What I don't understand is why the viewstate is that big. Of course the many checkboxes requires some viewstate but over 4mb seems waaaay over the top. Because of the huge download each time I edit a product, the product maintenance is close to impossible :-(

Does anyone have a solution to this problem?

Best regards,
Steffen
13 years ago
Is there not anyone out there which has this problem?
Or someone who has an idea of what I've to do to solve it.

Regards,
Steffen
13 years ago
Change Set 56583 in CodePlex has "Performance optimization ( >1,000 categories)" listed as its comment. It may or may not address your problem.

13 years ago
Hi mb

Thank you very much for your answer.

I've tried downloading the changeset, but I'm struggling a little to figute out how to implement it. Can you help me out a little?

Do I just compile the dll's that has been changed and substitute the ascx.cs files that has been changed?

Regards,
Steffen
13 years ago
Zteff wrote:
Hi mb

Thank you very much for your answer.

I've tried downloading the changeset, but I'm struggling a little to figute out how to implement it. Can you help me out a little?

Do I just compile the dll's that has been changed and substitute the ascx.cs files that has been changed?

Regards,
Steffen

The changes will be included in the next release (1.80, "Estimate release time - the beginning of September").  I was merely pointing out that your problem may be fixed in the next version.

The change set will include all modifications from the previous version up to that change set release, so you probably can't just replace the files listed and recompile as the files may have other changes from previous change sets. You can try the download as a standalone install (open in Visual Studio and install as normal to a new database and execute scripts in Documents folder) or wait for the release of 1.80 and upgrade your version.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.