Working with Visual Studio.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
13 years ago
A couple of easy questions for people that develop or alter the nop code.

1.  Do you work on local files then upload from VS?  If so what and how do you open the site in VS

2.  If you work on the remote site from VS directly, how do you open it?

What I'm getting at is what the "normal/acceptable" method would be to work on the sites code.

I've re-built the UPS and USPS files, but am not sure what ALL would need to be sent to the site.  This of course might be easier if I was working on the sites code directly, if that's even possible.

Thanks.
13 years ago
I have VS2008 and I simply open the solution to edit the files.  If I change any file in a particular project (class file project like in the Shipping folder, not an aspx project), building the solution will replace the matching dll in the bin folder of the NopCommerceStore project.  If that's the only dll that has changed in the solution, then it can replace the corresponding dll in production.  In your case, if the only files you chaged were Nop.Shipping.UPS and Nop.Shipping.USPS, then after building the solutions, the only dlls you would need to replace in the bin folder of the site would be the dll files of the same name.

I've done this with VS2008 Publish before, but find it's slow.  I set it to FTP publishing, not Frontpage Extentions because GoDaddy IIS7 does not support FP Extentions.  If you go this route, make sure you also change any files that you changed in production to make it work there or else they will be overwritten (like web.config) because you can't pick and choose which files get published, you leave that to VS to decide.

Again, this choice uploads too many files, so I opt for WS-FTP to upload only the files that changed.
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.