nopCommerce downloads through Microsoft's Web Platform Installer 3.0

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
13 years ago
I just downloaded Microsoft's web development platform basically to use for a PHP class that I'm taking (I already have stuff for asp.net, VB, C# etc. - but nothing for PHP) and I noticed that Microsoft's Web Platform Installer 3.0 gives you the option to download nopCommerce with all the other tools that you're downloading - how cool is that? Version 1.70 appears to be the version available right now.

The thing that really shocked me was the number of downloads - 152195 (with a 4.8 average rating - better than mojoPortal's 4.6, with Kartris not being rated). That is a LOT of downloads!! Are there really that many people trying out nopCommerce? Man!

So check it... if you have any questions about the quality of nopCommerce just know that Microsoft has deemed it worthy enough to be included for download with their web platform - and it just so happens to be the highest rated eCommerce option they offer (with the most downloads to boot!).

And the best thing of all? nopCommerce is FREE!

Although a little sponsorship can't hurt:

SUPPORT NOPCOMMERCE with your sponsorship!
13 years ago
By the way... of the other eCommece options that Microsoft offers for download...

Kartris:

Price: Single site licence - $840.00

This cart is about on par with nopCommerce but just one look at the price and you can see the choice is clear. The point is that you can get a cart that is just as good as Kartris for FREE, and that's nopCommerce!

Although they do have an AJAX/jQuery type add to cart feature - but then I have several available for nopCommerce, just check HERE for a good one.

mojoPortal

Price: FREE

mojoPortal seems to be mostly a CMS, their cart is severly lacking. I'd rather pay $840 for Kartris before using this - fortunately I have nopCommerce and I don't have to!!
13 years ago
Do you have a link to that page?

Those numbers don't feel right of course.
13 years ago
Microsoft's Web Platform home page:

http://www.microsoft.com/web/default.aspx

It installed nopCommerce for me on my local machine and it works like a charm!

I thought those numbers sounded high... but that's what Microsoft says.
13 years ago
I used the link from http://www.microsoft.com/web/gallery/default.aspx

It installed 1.60 with success

Maybe if I installed the .NET 4.0 first, it would come up with 1.70.?
13 years ago
ajhvdb wrote:
I used the link from http://www.microsoft.com/web/gallery/default.aspx

It installed 1.60 with success

Maybe if I installed the .NET 4.0 first, it would come up with 1.70.?

Possibly... I have .net 4.0 so... who knows.
13 years ago
bfranklin825 wrote:
By the way... of the other eCommece options that Microsoft offers for download...

Kartris:

Price: Single site licence - $840.00

This cart is about on par with nopCommerce but just one look at the price and you can see the choice is clear. The point is that you can get a cart that is just as good as Kartris for FREE, and that's nopCommerce!

I've been using Kartris for a new project. Its only $840 if you need the enterprise version, and I don't - the free one handles up to 500 items which is fine for me. The free license also has a link back to kartris site enabled, paid one doesn't.

Compared to nop:

Pros
- Lovely backend system
- Much better use of ajax - especially to build a "product configurator" that prices up your selection in real time. The nop version I had (1.6 I think) didn't do that, you had to hit refresh, which the client didn't like one bit!
- much better vat tax support than nop
- it has a "data tool", which is what sold it to me... it enables you to import from either "cactushop" (old asp shopping cart) but can also import CSV data, and then setup a batch... this way I can automate the product update overnight pulling from client's accounts system, i love that

Cons
- is compiled, you can edit most of what you need to, and some bits are open source, but the core is not, for some people this might not be an issue, for others its critical
- more limited choice of payment gateways, and other plugins (can code your own of course)
- have to pay if over 500 products

Its not a replacement for nop, but worth looking at for the times nop doesn't do what you want. Always nice to have another golf club in the bag if you know what I mean. I have a client who wants to move his shop from an outdated system, he has around 2 million items for sale! On the kartris site they have an example that has over 1 million and works like lightning, so I might look at getting the paid version, nop seemed to struggle with large databases. I'll still use nop where I can though.

I really wish nop would bite the bullet and do a paid enterprise version - I'd be happy to pay for the accelerated development we'd see on that.
12 years ago
Also if you update the feed to Microsoft's web app gallery you can install 1.90 now too.
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.