Web.config error IIS 7.5 .NET 4.0

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
13 years ago
Chuck,

I haven't found an answer that am I 100% comfortable with. Mainly, most of the other people who have had problems similar to yours have posted 'solutions' without understanding what is happening and why.  I will spend some time researching this as it appears this happens quite frequently.  In the meantime, here are some 'fixes' that will allow you to move forward (hopefully).

The main culprit appears to be applicationhost.config which is located at c:\windows\system32\inetsrv\config.  You will need to open this up in notepad and change the line that looks like this,

<section name="requestFiltering" overrideModeDefault="Allow" />

If yours says "Deny" then try changing to "Allow".  The only reason I don't like this is that several other people have reporting this setting but in different parts of this file.  I just don't know specifically what every one of these settings does to recommend this as a permanent solution.

IIS is very complex and I understand a good deal of it but certainly not everything.  What I usually reccomend is to install all features because this is typically what a host will have and it elimanates a lot of these problems.  If the above fix doesn't work I would suggest reinstalling IIS and asp.net. Here is a good link for doing this.  Link

Hope this helps.

EDIT:  I overlooked your comment about nopCommerce working fine on IIS 5.5.  I think this suggests that your applicationhost.config file is corrupted or mis-configured on your 2008 server box.  There are 2 many settings in there for me to debug each one in this forum.  I think that if your setting from above is deny that should fix things.  If all else fails reinstall.  I hate that fix but sometimes it just works.
13 years ago
My reply crossed yours somehow.

It's call Programs and Features now

I had just taken the defaults when I installed IIS. There were quite a few that weren't installed.

It worked! I did not turn on IIS6 but I turned on everything else. Now I have to sort out what's going on with the hosted server.

Thanks a lot Trevor.
13 years ago
It looks like we're still crossing replies.

I didn't edit the global config file. If that had fixed it I wouldn't be able to do anything on the hosted server. As it is, I'll need to turn off features until I find the one that makes it fail so I can tell the hosting service what to do.

Thanks for your help

Chuck
13 years ago
Glad it worked!  Your host will be a different story.  They should be aware of how to fix this though.  Good luck Chuck.
13 years ago
Just found an article by microsoft. It's about typical errors, it's causes and resolutions...so here it is "HTTP Error 500.19 – Internal Server Error"
11 years ago
If anyone comes across this, this is because your IIS isn't allowing you to override particular things that are set at the machine level.  In my case, the <handlers> setting by default, in Win8 IIS8, cannot be overridden.
Fix this by following this post:

See this post:
http://blog.thinkoriginally.com/2010/02/17/asp-net-config-error-this-configuration-section-cannot-be-used-at-this-path/
7 years ago
joebloe wrote:

Under IIS AND ASP.net make sure that every feature is checked (you have to open them up and check each one individually).

I checked ASP.NET ticked (and 3.5 / 4.5), .NET extensibility 3.5 / 4.5, ISAPI Extensions and Filters.

Works for me. Thanks.
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.