USPS Selectable Rates (Services)

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
13 years ago
The following change is for modifying nopCommerce 1.80 to make USPS carrier services selectable in administration. Follow the instructions in the README.txt file in the download.

Note: USPSStrings Elements should only have "ALL" uncommented as rates are filtered on response, not request.

UPDATE
A "NONE" entry has been added to the domestic and international services list to allow a store owner to disable all domestic or all international services. Selecting the "NONE" entry and any of the services will cause the services to be deselected on save.

Download the files (without the option to select NONE of the services):
http://www.mediafire.com/file/3c30kccqp64kpup/USPS_Admin_Selectable_Services.zip

Download the UPDATED files (with the option to select NONE of the services):
http://www.mediafire.com/file/p536oow8682egmq/USPS_Admin_Selectable_Services_Select_NONE.zip

Screenshots:
USPS Admin Configuration after mod
USPS Admin Configuration after mod (UPDATED with option to select NONE of the services)
USPS Domestic Rates before mod
USPS Domestic Rates after mod
USPS International Rates before mod (2lbs US to Germany)
USPS International Rates after mod (2lbs US to Germany)

13 years ago
Thanks. It should be included in the next release
13 years ago
This is great. I do have one problem. I wish to ship all domestic orders though FedEx and only international orders using USPS. When I uncheck all of the domestic shipping and save it recheck 3 of them. Is there a way not to have the domestic shipping options come up?
13 years ago
edcorusa wrote:
This is great. I do have one problem. I wish to ship all domestic orders though FedEx and only international orders using USPS. When I uncheck all of the domestic shipping and save it recheck 3 of them. Is there a way not to have the domestic shipping options come up?

Admittedly, I didn't consider the scenario where all the domestic or all the international rates would want to be omitted for USPS. The problem doesn't exist for the similar FedEx and UPS modifications, but it exists for USPS because the carrier services had to be split due to domestic and international services using some of the same service IDs (the modifications filter the response by services IDs since service names can change).

Each of the selectable rates modifications I posted (UPS, FedEx, and USPS) select default services to offer, if none are selected, when their configuration is saved. If the default services feature was disabled in the code (a reasonable option), then selecting none of the services options would perform no filtering and all the services would be returned (1.80 & earlier standard practice). Since, if you wanted none of the services, you would disable the shipping rate computation method. It also may seem counter intuitive to disable the filtering if no services are selected to offer to customers (i.e. return all rates), but it was implemented this way so that store owners could upgrade (if the modification was included in nopCommerce) and not have their (FedEx, UPS, or USPS) shipping rates stop working due to a needed configuration update (that they may not be aware was needed).

A workaround to disable all of the domestic services for USPS would be select a service that wouldn't be returned from USPS (based on the request), thus preventing the selection of the default services on save. "First Class" could be checked for USPS domestic since it has a max weight of 13 ozs and nopCommerce submits at a minimum 1 lb.

A fix would be to add a "NONE" (name and key) entry to the domestic and international checkbox lists so that by selecting it would cause the other options to not be saved. It would still perform the filtering, but since it wouldn't match any response service IDs, none of the services would be displayed. There is potential problem if a store owner selects both "NONE" options, in that it would effectively disable the USPS shipping service.

Initial post updated with the fix applied to the modification.

13 years ago
That sound great. We find that shipping our domestic customers like to have things shipped FedEx or UPS so they can track them. Our customer out of the country like USPS for the cheeper rate.

The other problem I have run into is that USPS flat rate will not work for me. If an order is placed with more than one item and the ship weight is over the flate rate max. weight. It still returns the cost for one flat rate box. I have even tried an order of 75 lbs. and the USPS gave me a shipping cost of $37.00. USPS does not accept packages over 70 lbs.

E-stores are great, but the whole freight issue hurts my head.

I really like your Mods. I have installed all three of them on my site.
13 years ago
edcorusa wrote:
The other problem I have run into is that USPS flat rate will not work for me. If an order is placed with more than one item and the ship weight is over the flate rate max. weight. It still returns the cost for one flat rate box. I have even tried an order of 75 lbs. and the USPS gave me a shipping cost of $37.00. USPS does not accept packages over 70 lbs.

The modifications I made only filter the response from the shipping carrier to allow a store owner to select which carrier services they want to offer to their customers -no modification is made to the request.

The nopCommerce USPSComputationMethod class (CreateRequest() method) will submit multiple packages for rating when the package size or weight exceeds what is allowed by USPS. The package size it submits (Regular, Large, or Oversize) depends on the summed dimensions of the cart items. A 75lb order would be split into two 38lb (rounded up) packages when sending the rate request -assuming the dimensions also don't exceed what is allowed by USPS. I believe the flat rate boxes have no weight limit, since they are a fixed size.

13 years ago
I am sorry if you thought I was thinking this was a problem with nopCommerce. I believe this is more a carrier issue. I have tried getting qoute for a forgien shipment.

Let's say I purchase 3 items that have a shipping weight of 10.5 lbs. each and have a shipping size of 6" x 6" x 6". I have the items shipped to Australia, Zip 3000. You have are setup to get a quote for Priority Mail International, Priority Mail International Large Flat Rate and Priority Mail International Medium Flat Rate.

When I do this I get a quote of:
USPS Priority Mail International ($79.00)
USPS Priority Mail International Large Flat Rate Box ($55.95)
USPS Priority Mail International Medium Flat Rate Box ($43.45)

USPS's website says:
USPS Priority Mail International ($191.35)
As for the the flat rate, the medium and large can only take 20 lbs. whitch means that you would need 3 boxes, one for each unit.
USPS Priority Mail International Large Flat Rate Box ($167.85)
USPS Priority Mail International Medium Flat Rate Box ($130.35)

A really good idea would be to allow you to set, in the administration panel, boxes sizes that you ship with. Then use the shipping size determent the box size, like you said about the flat rate boxes. and have the weight and box size go to the carrier for quote. This would also help when getting shipping costs from UPS and FedEx. This may be too much to ask for. I have asked around and this seems to be one of the biggest problems with e-commerce. The shipping has been the reasons it has taken my company so long to start an e-store. But the times call for it and I am really thankful for nopCommerce being here.
13 years ago
Also thanks, for such a quick reply and update. :-)
13 years ago
I need to be able to enable USPS for individual states (i.e. Hawaii and Alaska). I have a customer that lives in Hawaii that needs items shipped using USPS. It would be nice if I could select States to enable under the Configuration > Domestic area.

Would this take a long time to implement or be too difficult? Let me know because I need this. I don't want to lose customers. Right now, they have to call me to place an order, so I can apply a free shipping coupon then manually enter the price for shipping. Very cumbersome for me and the customer.

Thanks!
Bruce
13 years ago
Hello

I have been using the new UI for a few weeks, I can use SHIP by Country And Weight in combo with USPS works well.

One issue "First Class International Package" constantly comes out higher $ than the USPS online calculator and the actual cost via stamps.com

http://www.fabfourstore.com
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.