I am using v1.6.
I have just added ShippingByPalletWeight to it which calculates with a price per pallet and a 1000kg max per pallet.

I am about to add ShippingByPalletWeightAndPostcode , which is as the above but with different prices for groups of postcodes. (Rather more thought, tables and coding involved.)

Many of our products are shipped by pallet but there are some that might be shipped by post, if there is not a pallet load of other stuff in the order.

So would it be possible to specify two by ground shipping methods and have them selected depending on the product mix of the order?

I have just tried setting the weight on the small items to zero and putting and additional shipping charge on so that they would have the postage charge (additional charge) if there were no other items, but this is added on top of the pallet charge when there are other items.

So I would need to find a way to stop off the additional charge when there is a pallet charge.
Maybe it's possible to catch the additional charge and deal with it in the computation method?

Also it doesn't look to me that it is possible to use more than one shipping method per order.
In reality different shipping methods can apply to different products.

Has anyone extended the Nop to provide for such things?

Any thoughts, tips, clues, success stories on any of the above would be greatly appreciated.

I would like ideally to keep things as simple as possible, so may have to opt for the one simple method and refer customers to order by phone if the shipping method is not appropriate.

I don't have the cash to upgrade Visual studio so I can't move past v1.6 plus I don't have the time to keep programming changes and learning new methods to do the same thing over and over.

Thanks folks.