Idiots guide to VWDE installion needed?

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
13 years ago
Hi
I have been building my shop with the no source version (1.8) hosted on my website  but find now I need to edit some of the source to meet my requirements, edit shipping calculations etc.

I want to reinstall the site using the source code version but the process in the manual is fairly ambiguous. As I am not a developer would someone  be kind enough to give me some quick bullets of the steps required? Specifically, I am not sure of the following.

1. Do I compile the site locally or do I upload the source to my webspace and compile it from there?
2.Once compiled do I run the nopcommerce installation locally or upload to the webspace first ? As my sql server is provided by my host I do not know how I could configure the database when compilation is localt?
3. How do I get the site uploaded to my host from VWDE?
4. How do I edit the source code once installed? Do I edit it in the local project and then upload to the website and how, or do I connect to website from VWDE and edit directly then save any changes I make?
5. How do I manage change control or do I simply backup the site before I change anything each time?

I will be really grateful if someone can help me out as a I am a newbie

Thanks in advance
13 years ago
Just to note I don't use Visual Web Developer Express, but standard Visual Studio.

1. Do I compile the site locally or do I upload the source to my webspace and compile it from there?

Compile it locally, then upload.

2. Once compiled do I run the nopcommerce installation locally or upload to the webspace first ? As my sql server is provided by my host I do not know how I could configure the database when compilation is localt?

This is up to you. You could get your database how you want it locally, back it up, then upload your database to your live environment (then change your connectionstrings file) or you could deploy it and install from the beginning.

3. How do I get the site uploaded to my host from VWDE?

Once it is compiled you can just copy the NopCommerceStore folder.

4. How do I edit the source code once installed? Do I edit it in the local project and then upload to the website and how, or do I connect to website from VWDE and edit directly then save any changes I make?

I don't know about connecting to your website from VWDE (this would probably depend on your hosting) but I would normally make changes locally, recompile then re-upload.

5. How do I manage change control or do I simply backup the site before I change anything each time?

Again depends on your environment and how you want to do it. I would think that you would want to backup and re-upload. Usually you don't want production code under source control as a bad check in could take down the whole site.
13 years ago
Thank you for that. I have access to visual studio so will use that. To clarify some of your help, each time I want to make any changes to the source I open the .sln file in visual studio and when I save it back the changes are saved in the original "nopCommerce_1.80_Source" directory and changes to the website are automatically made to the site content in "NopCommerceStore". Is this correct?

Assuming so, do I simply just work offline and whenever I have changed anything reupload "NopCommerceStore" to my webspace. Is this also correct?

Given the above, is it not therefore the case that I simply take a copy of the source file before changing anything each time as a change control process?

Forgive me, I am a bit thick, I am a network techie and this is my first go at web development, different mindset altogether:-)
13 years ago
i guess everyone works a little differently but for me, i have the source code for any particular website on my computer

i make any alterations i require then use

filezilla

to connect to my host and upload all required files to the host ( actually, i upload a 'published' website which is the source code minus all the c# - but lets not worry about that for now !)

when i edit any files, i use filezilla to upload the individual files i changed ( if i change the c#, I also have to recompile the site and upload the relevant .dll to the 'bin' folder, but again that's probably not something you need to worry about at this stage

this means that I always have a definitive copy of the website here on my computer

- hayden
13 years ago
I have some questions about the editing proccess of a nop commerce website.

The nop commerce system, in my case, was installed and configured on server by another person, not me.
I have downloaded via ftp all the website's files, which are the contents of the NopCommerceStore directory (based on the available to download "with source" version).

I open the project file (NopCommerceStore.csproj) using Visual Web Developer 2010 Express and begin to Build.

From this point, how should I edit and upload files on server? Should I Rebuild project everytime I make some changes and then upload files on server? Which files? Can you please give me some basic instructions?
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.