Transfer of Database

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
13 years ago
Currently I am developing a webshop for a customer, which is running on my own test server.
Basically the site is done, so I want to move the store to the final location on a hoster's server.

Problem is, the hoster does support ASP 4 and SQL 2008, but it only allows you to create a specific DB name,
which is ofcourse different from the DB name on my test server.

Is it possible to create a clean install of NOP, based on the hoster's DB and restore a backup (.bak) file from the test DB?
Or else rename the DB using SQL 2008 to match the DB name of the hoster?

Regards
Mark Leeuwis
13 years ago
If you want your test db data then you can copy a backup of that db up to the host server and do a restore as newdb name.
If you want a clean db then create the database on the host server and then do a clean install without the test data using the new existing db name.
13 years ago
I created a backup file of my test database, copied it to the hoster and tried to restore it into the production database. But I received errors. Does it matter that the test database is called Dalima and the production Database is called GorsDalima?
Also the logon credentials to connect to the DB differ, does that matter?
13 years ago
InfoTCQ wrote:
I created a backup file of my test database, copied it to the hoster and tried to restore it into the production database. But I received errors. Does it matter that the test database is called Dalima and the production Database is called GorsDalima?
Also the logon credentials to connect to the DB differ, does that matter?

I would perform all operations on my local machine so that you have a backup of the database that you want on the host.
In Management Studio...
1) Backup your test db - Dalima
2) Perform a restore and give it the name GorsDalima and use the backup from the test db
3) Go into Security tab under the GorsDalima db and delete the user that existed in the test db
4) Go into main security tab for SQL and under Logins create a new user and give it user name and strong password
5) Select the User Mapping page and for the new user check the Map checkbox and then check db_owner for database role membership

Now you should have a host database with the proper name and credentials.
This one should restore on the host.
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.