Code repository is MVC version?

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
13 years ago
Thanks.

When you said "it will be completely overwritten", are the Services, BLL and DAL are also going to change? Adding MVC to the already existing nopcommerce project would not be that hard. Even keeping both asp.net and mvc is possible. I dont know whether you have thought about that.

I have read in the road map earlier that there would be a release sometime in February and that will be called 2.0. Was that postponed to May/June this year?
13 years ago
varghesep wrote:
When you said "it will be completely overwritten", are the Services, BLL and DAL are also going to change?

Yes, most of the source code will be changed

varghesep wrote:
I have read in the road map earlier that there would be a release sometime in February and that will be called 2.0. Was that postponed to May/June this year?

Yes, it was. nopCommerce 2.00 will be released in May/June because we decided to rewrite everything (and not just move the presentation layer to MVC)
13 years ago
Is there any plan to use Microsoft Extension Framework? There should be some way for developers to add modules easily - similar to the DotNetNuke concept.
13 years ago
We don't plan to use MEF but will be achieving something similar with StructureMap.
13 years ago
I started asking about v2 and now landed on this thread. I think you're on excellent path and the time frame is about right.

I'll be watching and looking forward to this new generation.
Thanks!
13 years ago
BenHayat wrote:
I started asking about v2 and now landed on this thread. I think you're on excellent path and the time frame is about right.

Thanks!

I think they're on the right path, too, with caveats, namely that they're charging forward on v2 with abandonment of v1.9, which will silently turn away a lot of people in the next few months. v2 will be guaranteed to be as stable as v1's guaranteed stability, as all rewrites are only as stable as a v1 guarantee. Meanwhile, if one was to adopt nopCommerce today with significant customizations, they are guaranteed a dead end for official support on that codebase.

So the onus is on us, the community, to keep v1.9 alive, checking in bug fixes to the v1.9 branch as we go--that is, if the nopCommerce core team members are willing to pull from readied forks of the v1.9 branch. I say this admittedly having nothing checked into any fork yet, this is more theoretical/philisophical than literal, but if I come across any serious bugs on the back end (we have our own front-end) I'll seriously consider forking and patching.
13 years ago
stimpy77 wrote:

Thanks!
I think they're on the right path, too, with caveats, namely that they're charging forward on v2 with abandonment of v1.9, which will silently turn away a lot of people in the next few months. v2 will be guaranteed to be as stable as v1's guaranteed stability, as all rewrites are only as stable as a v1 guarantee. Meanwhile, if one was to adopt nopCommerce today with significant customizations, they are guaranteed a dead end for official support on that codebase.

So the onus is on us, the community, to keep v1.9 alive, checking in bug fixes to the v1.9 branch as we go--that is, if the nopCommerce core team members are willing to pull from readied forks of the v1.9 branch. I say this admittedly having nothing checked into any fork yet, this is more theoretical/philisophical than literal, but if I come across any serious bugs on the back end (we have our own front-end) I'll seriously consider forking and patching.

As of yesterday, I was about to start a new project in ASP.Net and once I read the roadmap that this product is going MVC, as of today, I'm learning MVC and will try to write my app in MVC.
So, your direction actually helped me set mine :-)

I'm excited!!!
13 years ago
Andrei,

I have been following the updates on codeplex for some time now and I am really excited about the changes.  However, I was trying to jump ahead and play with the new Razor view engine but I ran into a structuremap issue in the DIRegistry.cs file.

Question: How do you plan on wiring up the various interfaces in the registry?

I cannot seem to get past the IDbContext "PluginFamily" error.  I just don't quite get the logic of how to wire that up.

I followed your general pattern you commented out and structuremap did not complain.  Like this if you wanted to implement  a Product controller and view:

DIRregistry.cs
For<ICacheManager>().Use<NopNullCache>();
For<IRepository<Product>>().Use<EfRepository<Product>>();
For<IProductService>().Use<ProductService>();

etc.

Maybe my entire approach is wrong (structuremap is a bit new to me) but do you have any idea how to map IDbContext?  

I know this is pulling the cart before the horse a bit but I wanted to get an idea of how the front end will work with the Razor templates.

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks Andrei.

trevor

UPDATE

For anyone else who is interested in "Jumping Ahead" with 2.0 you can wire up the DIRegistry like so:
This is for a Product.

For<IDbContext>().Use(() => new NopObjectContext("YourConnectionStringName"));
For<ICacheManager>().Use<NopNullCache>();
For<IRepository<Product>>().Use<EfRepository<Product>>();
For<IRepository<ProductCategory>>().Use<EfRepository<ProductCategory>>();
For<IRepository<ProductManufacturer>>().Use<EfRepository<ProductManufacturer>>();
For<IRepository<ProductVariant>>().Use<EfRepository<ProductVariant>>();
For<IRepository<RelatedProduct>>().Use<EfRepository<RelatedProduct>>();
For<IRepository<CrossSellProduct>>().Use<EfRepository<CrossSellProduct>>();
For<IRepository<TierPrice>>().Use<EfRepository<TierPrice>>();
For<IProductService>().Use<ProductService>();

Couple of notes:
1. This may not be the best way to wire up StructureMap.  This is what I "figured" out and it works so far.  I haven't done any testing on this method.  I would only recommend doing this if you want play with some controllers and views.
2. For any other entity you would simply add the necessary repositories and service classes that the Service uses in its constructor.

Hope this helps.  Comments welcome.
13 years ago
I may have missed this - but do you expect to kep the schema largely unchanged?  Or in other words, are we looking at a reasonably smooth transistion to the new version?  Very exciting if so.  And still a good direction regardless.

-ldl-
13 years ago
ldl01031 wrote:
I may have missed this - but do you expect to kep the schema largely unchanged?  Or in other words, are we looking at a reasonably smooth transistion to the new version?  Very exciting if so.  And still a good direction regardless.

No, database schema will not be changed much. nopCommerce 2.00 will be provided with upgrade utility
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.