Best way to add Sales tax

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
3 years ago
Hello. I am not the developer, I am the owner of the website so please forgive me but I know nothing of the technical jargon. However I will be passing this info on to the website developer.

With that being said. I want to add sales tax for use selling in all 50 states.

What is the best way to do this? Is there any other plug ins besides tax jar or avalara? What is the least expensive option?

Ive called avalara and their customer support hasnt contacted me back. Im just trying to find what way is going to be the easiest to use with the website.
3 years ago
Do you understand sales tax nexus - are you actually required to register then collect and remit sales tax in all 50 states?
3 years ago
Yes. I'm familiar with it.

What I'm trying to figure out is what plug in is best to use to keep track of it on my website.
3 years ago
RE:  "keep track of it "

NopCommerce records the tax on the order (assuming you've configure the calculation of it).  However reporting is weak. (One could write SQL queries).  

If you really have nexus for 50 states, then you probably need a plugin like Avalara.  (Sorry, I don't have any recommendations to make.)
3 years ago
I do not have nexus in any state other than Michigan. However I would assume I would still want to keep track of the states where I sold to assuming i may obtain nexus on other states in the future.
3 years ago
All the sales (and tax) data is in the database.  But there are no built-in reports to get to it.  You can check the marketplace.
3 years ago
well I would assume it would just be the sales in the data for all other states beside Michigan if Im not collecting it for any state except Michigan right?  Are you saying I would need this plug in just to keep track of Michigan?
3 years ago
I'm just saying that tax data is tracked in the system but there is no built-in report to see it.
3 years ago
You can export the orders for the required period as an excel spreadsheet which contains the tax column so you can get the total
3 years ago
Taxjar can tell you if you have nexus in other states after you have enough data exported.
For me Taxjar works and is cheap compared to other systems.

Kenny Larsen
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.