Quickest way to import Product variants ? How ?

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
13 years ago
I have almost 30-40 product and each product has got 20 different variants. What is the quickest way to import Product variants ? Right now, the only way to do it is MANUAL which means 30 products times 20 different variants = 600 products individually which is IMPOSSIBLE

It is such an important feature which is not available in nopcommerce. Can anyone help me with this ?
13 years ago
Hi Super,

I assume you got your custom installation working.  That's good.

There is an import/export feature built into nopCommerce but I don't know if it supports the type of import your looking to do.  Try that first.  What I do for all importing whether I am using nopCommerce, Magento, etc. is go go straight to the db and import data directly from a csv file.  This keeps you from having to go through the api.  Its much faster and I find it easier as well.

The good news about nopCommerce is that it is infinitely easier than Magento.  Here are some things to think about before you import directly into the db.

1. nopCommerce products for most scenarios are broken into 2 tables, Products and ProductVariants.
2. Both of these tables use auto-increments for their primary keys.
3. If you already have products and product variants in your db then browse those respective tables and find the last id for each.  This is where your ProductId's for ProductVariants will start.  

Basically your steps are to import a csv or excel file to SqlServer that imports all the necessary fields for Products.  Your next step is more tedious but faster than using the admin.  In another csv or excel spreadsheet enter the ProductId values starting from where you imported your products into the Products table.  Example:  You already had 3 products in the product table.  This would mean that your last ProductId is 3.  If you imported 100 new products then your ProductId's would start at 4 and go to 104.  

You then go through your product variant csv/spreadsheet file and match the ProductId field to what matches your list.  There are many excel tricks you can employ to automate this, but that is another topic.

Finally you upload the ProductVariant list and you are done.  Categories are of course another step but given that you more than likely have your products in a list already this is much faster.

Hope this helps.
trevor
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.