How to migrate database between hosts

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
13 years ago
I have a bak file of the old database that was hosted by serverbeach with nopCommerce 1.6 and I need to move it to the new host (softsys) to run in nopCommerce 1.9.  It is a bak file of about 450 MB and I'm not really sure where to start.  Any help would be much appreciated.
13 years ago
Hi,
Unless you can use the SQL Server database copy utility, the only way may be to upload your 1.6 .bak file (securely if it has 'live data') into a secure location (i.e. not the wwwroot/httpdocs folder) and then attach this to your new SQL server using the database restore utility (in SQL Management Studio, right click the server, 'Databases', go to tasks and 'Restore Database'. Select 'From device' and select your .bak file).

From here I believe you can use the 1.9 installation to upgrade the database to the 1.9 version (although I have never done this, so may be wrong!)

Remember to delete your .bak file from the server once the database has been restored and is working correctly.

Hope this helps,
Chris
13 years ago
Use management studio to restore you data from bak file to new database, then do the upgrading
13 years ago
note that the user account may not work, i often have to delete the user in the database, and recreate it and link it to a login defined on the server. This seems to get things working.
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.