Google Product Reviews program - 5 default rating stars - bad practice

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
3 years ago
Hello-

My company is trying to participate in the Google Product Ratings program which causes your ratings to appear on your product listings at Google. I am having an automated product review feed generator developed for it, but their onboarding team is denying us because our site has "5 stars" preselected on the "Write a Product Review" form. They consider this to be "bad practice."

I'm suggesting that we remove the pre-selected rating value in a future release, or at least give the option to site admins to do it themselves via a setting.

Also....because the Google Product Ratings program also requires that you supply them with the exact number of each (1-star, 2-star,3-star,4-star,5-star), it would also be very helpful if it was possible to view how many of each rating value is in the database. A sort or search feature for Rating Values on the admin >> Catalog >> Product Reviews screen would be perfect.
3 years ago
Thanks a lot, Steve!

embryo wrote:
I'm suggesting that we remove the pre-selected rating value in a future release, or at least give the option to site admins to do it themselves via a setting.

Here is a work item - https://github.com/nopSolutions/nopCommerce/issues/4948

embryo wrote:
...because the Google Product Ratings program also requires that you supply them with the exact number of each (1-star, 2-star,3-star,4-star,5-star).

Could you please reference to the documentation where it's stated?
3 years ago
Hello Steve,

No meaning to detract from the original thread, but i have a general question around this - We have not had one product review on our store, but we consistently get 5 star 'service' reviews via other 3rd party review channels. Do you do anything in particular to encourage customers to leave product reviews on Nop?

Cheers
Jon

embryo wrote:
Hello-

My company is trying to participate in the Google Product Ratings program which causes your ratings to appear on your product listings at Google. I am having an automated product review feed generator developed for it, but their onboarding team is denying us because our site has "5 stars" preselected on the "Write a Product Review" form. They consider this to be "bad practice."

Also....because the Google Product Ratings program also requires that you supply them with the exact number of each (1-star, 2-star,3-star,4-star,5-star), it would also be very helpful if it was possible to view how many of each rating value is in the database. A sort or search feature for Rating Values on the admin >> Catalog >> Product Reviews screen would be perfect.
3 years ago
Yes, we have the reward points system enabled and offer points for reviews, and we send out post purchase follow-up emails 21 days after the sale asking customers to review our products.
3 years ago
a.m. wrote:
Thanks a lot, Steve!

Here is a work item - https://github.com/nopSolutions/nopCommerce/issues/4948

...because the Google Product Ratings program also requires that you supply them with the exact number of each (1-star, 2-star,3-star,4-star,5-star).

It wasn't actually published anywhere on their site, but this is the email I received a few days ago after expressing interest in joining the program:
====================================================
Hello Steve,

Thank you very much for your interest in Google Product Ratings.

While analyzing the form, I have found that you have mentioned the total number of reviews collected are 5750. However, the total of the rating distribution provided is 5650.

In order to proceed with the onboarding of your reviews, we’d like to ask you to disclose the star distribution of all reviews collected by your enterprise so far:

Your Review Distribution:

1 star rating: [insert number]
2 star rating: [insert number]
3 star rating: [insert number]
4 star rating: [insert number]
5 star rating: [insert number]
Thank you in advance for your cooperation! We’re looking forward to hearing from you and please let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

Regards,
Shilpi
=======================================================
3 years ago
a.m. wrote:
Thanks a lot, Steve!

I just realized I copy/pasted the wrong response that I got from them...sorry:

Hello Steve,

Thank you for the confirmation.

While reviewing your website, I came across the following queries:

1. I can see that anyone can write a review on the website. Could you please provide an insight over how do you differentiate between verified reviewers (buyers) and non-verified reviewers?

2. When writing a review for a product, 5 stars are already marked as mentioned in the attached screenshot. So, the rating is already set to 5 stars, even before a consumer writes a review. It is our best practice to not preset the ratings on a website.

Please refer to this link for more information.
https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/6098512

Hope to hear from you soon.

Regards,
Shilpi
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.