General advices on using/developing NopCommerce

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
13 years ago
Hi all,

I was recommended to spent some time to learn nopCommerce to be ready at time when some client would be interested in a e commerce solution.

I plan to download the guide and fiddle with the API.

1) What do you advise for getting started? Learning the guide is a good start. More accuretely is there any caveats/tips/tricks you are aware of? What are the typical areas you advise me to focus on?

2) What is your typical professional experience with nopCommerce? Do you fiddle a lot with the code? Or does CSS development represent 80% of your development time? Is the admin back-end enough for 90% of what you have to implement?

Many rookie questions for sure.

Thanks for reading this.

R.
13 years ago
phenryll wrote:
Hi all,

1) What do you advise for getting started? Learning the guide is a good start. More accurately is there any caveats/tips/tricks you are aware of? What are the typical areas you advise me to focus on?

Get it up and running then if you need to change pages then that's where you start. Look at how that page works. Think about what needs to change (or if there is code you want to move from one place to another to duplicate existing functionally) then copy that existing file to a test file and modify, test and debug. If required delete existing and rename new to be the old existing.

There are plenty of ways to go about it. But don't expect it to be easy to change first off as nC is quite a complex program for the beginner depending on what you want to change. Mainly because of the tiers of operation. Not all happening as a liner process. Things fire off as events and notifications as well from the different tiers. Anyway not saying you can't do it but need to be prepared to spend a bit of time learning and playing.

[quote]
2) What is your typical professional experience with nopCommerce? Do you fiddle a lot with the code? Or does CSS development represent 80% of your development time? Is the admin back-end enough for 90% of what you have to implement?
[/quote]

I spent quite a few hours getting up to speed and now pretty confident with all the basic operations and can change if I need to. Made a payment Method and some other stuff to make the use interface more buyer friendly - mainly cosmetic.

But although I am competent to do stuff now - as an integrator developer rather than a coder programmer I have decided to outsource my development and concentrate more on the operational understanding and documentation and systems, management process and the links to the backoffice with 5 staff so that they can integrate admin users and accounts people with their current paperwork operations including delivery of products.

I know for me this is a more economic use of my time. And I kill two birds with the one stone so to speak.

Anyway it's up to you to determine which way to go. But I definitely recommend nC to anyone that needs a base level of functionality all done up for free. Something great to build on which we have Done. Our new product is for a Staff Club with 5000 members which has a whole range of services they require in addition to the existing functionality which includes accommodation bookings system and member ticket sales processes.

Kind Regards
A
www.SelectSystems.com.au
13 years ago
Very detailed answer. Thanks a lot mate ^_^
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.