A couple of needed features

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
3 years ago
1)  Add a Sort by Distance checkbox to (labor/service) categories

Imagine you are looking for a service like an Aircraft mechanic (A&P). They want to start by looking for the one closes to them.
I sort services this way in old aspx storefronts. It displays them in distance from the customer order.
Also, display the distance as some are 2 or 3 states away. The customer needs to know when you have to go there to get their service.
You do not check it for Drop shipment Vendors with no pickup and it sorts off the static sort order.

2) Add a redirect to an external URL checkbox & textbox for the URL to the category table.
Many of our pages need to be directed to PRA's library of 50 years of documents and not to buy anything.
3 years ago
RE: "Sort by Distance "
Distance from where to where?  The customer may not yet have put in an address (although I suppose you could get city/state from reversing IP address), and if the 'location' of your service product is in some 'custom' field (e.g. a product specification attribute), then how would the system know that?  I.e. this seem to be a custom feature.

(I don't understand your second request)
3 years ago
At our site, you must register (no guest) with an address for this reason and most of our PRA members have accounts some 50 years old. (Few nonmembers have an interest in gyroplanes)
All of our other current pages display distances from an event, chapter, other members etc.
It's the distance then from customer to Store selling the good or service.

Also, the default logic could be if not authorized with an address then just use the current static sort.
On PRA site we ask for a zipcode when there is no address, come to think of it. Then do customer post office zipcode (which I have in the zipcode database) to store.
3 years ago
It seems that your needs are quite specific, so it may not be too likely for the team to add such a feature.   The product search is handled by a stored procedure in the database (ProductLoadAllPaged) and it does not have a parameter to identify the customer.  If the team provided that, then one could customize the sort order in which the products are returned based on some 'property' of the customer (address, etc.).
3 years ago
Good morning MVP

Yes, this is the first business/charity that 97% of all with an interest are already signed up as PRA members or guests to receive newsletters.

But U-ROCK!! My highest compliment.
I'm a hacker.  Sadly, with no real training, It how I've learned most programming.
But I hate to admit for the first time I'm lost in nop's architecture and the first time with plugins and widgets. So I have a great deal to the learn!!!

I looked at the stored procedure.
Fond no sort field but did find a PageIndex is that the sort order?

If I added the CustomerID and a distance from field to the stored procedure.
Couldn't I call another stored proceeded, I create, from ProductLoadAllPaged that reads the addresses, calculates the distance and filled in the sort order then returns to display??

Where is this procedure called? Page and line of code?
3 years ago
For sort, look for "order by" in the stored procedure.
Yes, if you add the CustomerID as a param to the stored procedure, you will need to modify the code that calls it.  It's best to search the code (in Visual Studio) for "ProductLoadAllPaged".

RE: "distance from field"
Is that the 'maximum distance' (that the customer might select)?
3 years ago
Thank you so much.
For manufactures and parts vendors, the maximum distance can often be from the US to Russia or, France, or Australia, or ...
For services from San Diego to Utah was the distance I had to travel to find a flight instructor there were so few at the time. But now there are more so for me the closes would be 200 miles and the next 300 miles away.
A&P's have the most so their distance may only be 15 to 100 miles away?
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.