Taxes not applying 1.90

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
13 years ago
So I read your documentation thoroughly and I cannot get taxes to show up for the two states I put tax rates in. I selected calculate on ship to address. When I go to check out NO tax value is displaying. The documentation could be a bit more concise. It only tells you what the values are, but nothing like a step by step instruction on how to add a tax rate and make it show up on the public store. Most of the documentation states the obvious but not how it works.

1. In settings I defined my default state and checked  "Display all applied tax rates"
2. I set "Tax By Country & State"  as my default.
3. In edit mode / configuration of "Tax By Country & State" I added two states and the tax percentages.
4. Saved

Now nothing shows up in public store from either Illinois or California.

Am I missing a step?
13 years ago
Have you set a tax category for your products (variants)? If the shipping address ("Tax based on" setting) or product variant's tax category doesn't match a tax rate entry in the "Tax By Country & State" tax provider , then no tax will be displayed.

When adding a new tax rate for the "Tax By Country & State" tax provider, a "Tax class" (note that tax class and tax category are used interchangeably in the admin) is selected to define a tax percentage for products in that tax class. If you have multiple tax classes (Administration > Configuration > Tax > Tax Classes), you will need to create a tax rate entry ("Tax By Country & State" tax provider) for each tax class that is taxable for the state. To then have the tax percentage applied to the product, it needs to have a tax category selected in product variant details.

13 years ago
Ah thats it. So I setup the tax rates like this

Tax Categories
Sales Tax-IN-IL-CA
Sales Tax-IL-IN

In IN IL CA I placed a percentage for each state.
Then for IL-IN category I only included IN and IL tax rates.

In product A shipping to california I selected in the variant Sales Tax IL-IN-CA category
See some of my California product is taxable and others are not.
In Product B I selected Sales Tax IL-IN for the category for the product to ship to California

Is this the right setup if I want to have some products that ship to CA that are taxable and others that are not?
13 years ago
That configuration looks correct for your situation: some products that are non-taxable in one state (CA), but taxable in other states (IL and IN).

13 years ago
My problem now is the sales tax is appearing to a guest that is not logged in yet. Isnt sales tax supposed to only apply once a shipping address is entered?
13 years ago
If a customer doesn't have a shipping address set, then tax is calculated using the "Default Country", "Default State/Province", and "Default Zip/Postal code" that are set in Administration > Configuration > Tax > Tax Settings. To prevent tax being displayed when the shipping address hasn't been selected/entered, you need to clear these fields (select "Select Country" for the "Default Country" DDL).

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.