Add custom data to ShoppingCartItem

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
13 years ago
Hi

I want a customer to be able if he or she want her products shipped as a wrapped gift. Therefore I want a checkbox on the OrderSummary, right to the left of the price.

Of course I want the checkbox selection to last as long as the ShoppingCartItem exist. The AttributesXml field looks interesting, but then I need to create a ProductVariantAttribute mapping, and I don't really need that. I don't want the ProductVariant to have the wrapped-option - just the ShoppingCartItem.

Also I dont want to change the database, so it would be good if I could use some existing field to store the custom data. Is AttributesXml the right way to go?
13 years ago
[quote=lukeskywalker]Hi

I want a customer to be able if he or she want her products shipped as a wrapped gift. Therefore I want a checkbox on the OrderSummary, right to the left of the price.

Of course I want the checkbox selection to last as long as the ShoppingCartItem exist. The AttributesXml field looks interesting, but then I need to create a ProductVariantAttribute mapping, and I don't really need that. I don't want the ProductVariant to have the wrapped-option - just the ShoppingCartItem.
quote]

You can do it with a Checkout Attribute: admin>catalog>attributes>checkout attributes
13 years ago
eadameg wrote:
lukeskywalker wrote:
Hi

You can do it with a Checkout Attribute: admin>catalog>attributes>checkout attributes

Don't seem optimal to me. The checkout attribute apply to the entire checkout, and not a single ShoppingCartItem - right?
13 years ago
lukeskywalker wrote:
Hi

Don't seem optimal to me. The checkout attribute apply to the entire checkout, and not a single ShoppingCartItem - right?

Right. Then the most advisably feature to use in your cas is Product Attributes (which you dont like)

The other out of the box alternative I find near of what you want is to create a product "Wrapping" and set it as a Cross-sell for those products which can have wrapping.
13 years ago
eadameg wrote:
lukeskywaker wrote:
Hi

Right. Then the most advisably feature to use in your cas is Product Attributes (which you dont like)

The other out of the box alternative I find near of what you want is to create a product "Wrapping" and set it as a Cross-sell for those products which can have wrapping.

Okay ... I will have to think more about this.
13 years ago
I ended up using CustomerAttributes. The only drawback is perhaps that I have to create a customer before he has checked out, which may lead to customers being put into the database that has not really bought anything. (I have anonymous checkouts)
13 years ago
lukeskywalker wrote:
I ended up using CustomerAttributes. The only drawback is perhaps that I have to create a customer before he has checked out, which may lead to customers being put into the database that has not really bought anything. (I have anonymous checkouts)

I think that checkout attributes apply also to anonymus customers. Besides do not devalue the data of customers who do not purchase anything. In my experience 30% + of customers register and do not end the shopping process, but they increase your database of potential customers (also valuable)
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.