Shipping for large and heavy items - contact us form

7 months ago
Hi there :)
I'm wondering if it's possible to disable shipping for certain items. For example, I would like to disable shipping for items that weigh over 50kg. I think it would be helpful to have a contact form or a message that says "Contact us for shipping costs" instead.
Alternatively I could set it up manually for some items or categories - doesn't have to be based on the weight.
Many Thanks
Dorota
7 months ago
With the Shipping Director plugin, here are few possibilities:

1) Use the ErrorExit rule [with expression, e.g., Items.Any(Product.Weight > 50) ] so that the customer cannot continue checkout.  The message shown to the customer can explain details, e.g. remove item from cart to continue, contact us, etc.

2) Let the customer continue checkout, but warn them in the shipping method's Name or Description that they will be contacted with additional charges for shipment.

3) Conditionally call another shipping method/rate plugin to get the freight rates.  (In the past, we've done custom plugins for ReTrans freight [now know as Kuehne+Nagel], YrcFreight, others.)

(FYI, rather Product.Weight > 50, you could use Product.HasCategory("...") )

Contact us at support at noptools.com if you need more information about Shipping Director.
7 months ago
Thank you! Unfortunately I have problems installing the shipping director. While installing the plugin, no errors occur, but it does not appear in the list of plugins. Is it possible that it's not compatible with the Emporium Theme?
7 months ago
Does the plugin version you are installing match the nopCommerce version ?
Check the plugin.json file for the plugin version
7 months ago
"Version": "1.56",
  "SupportedVersions": [ "4.50" ],

Our NopCommerce version is 4.50 so it should work, shouldn't it ?
7 months ago
Yes, that's the correct version.

If you are using the "Upload plugin or theme" button in the admin plugins list page, be sure to then also use the Apply changes button.

Check the System log for any errors during installation.

Check the /App_Data plugins.json file to see if Shipping Director appears in any section.