updating database from 4.2 -> 4.6 ?

7 months ago
I'm not clear on how to update the database from 4.2 to 4.6.    Instructions say it's automatic.  But when, precisely?

I ran the 4.2 to 4.3 update script.   From there on out there are no update scripts.  So I installed a new installation of nopCommerce 4.6.4   I fill out the Install page (with email and database info).   But when I submit it I get the following error:

Setup failed: The given ColumnMapping does not match up with any column in the source or destination.

I do not have an appsettings.json file (I assumed this was created as part of the install page).   Is this the problem?
7 months ago
Figmo wrote:
...  I fill out the Install page (with email and database info).  
I do not have an appsettings.json file ...

You should not be running the Install page.  Read the upgrade instructions again:
https://docs.nopcommerce.com/en/installation-and-upgrading/upgrading-nopcommerce.html
"...  Remove all files from the previous version except JSON files in the 'App_Data' directory such as appsettings.json and plugins.json. These files should be saved since we will use them later."

I.e., you need your prior appsettings.json and plugins.json in your new site.   The  appsettings.json has the connection string.  When the site starts up, it will connect to DB and run the migrations as needed.

Be sure you backup before you do the upgrade.  Better yet, I recommend that you
a) backup / restore your DB
b) backup / restore your site (folders/files)
Restore to new DB / Site.  Then run the migration there.  Once all is well, you should be able to repoint/rename folders so prod points to new stuff.
7 months ago
>>Restore to new DB / Site.  Then run the migration there.

That's what I'm trying to do.  

So how does one get the appsettings.json file generated?   My current version uses datasettings.json.     Instructions just say "make sure that the target appsettings.json is updated as per the latest nopCommerce version" but don't say how to actually do that.  That's why I thought maybe the install page needed to execute.

I tried just copying the connection string over to where I think it goes in appsettings.json, but site still keeps going to the install page every time I try to load my site.    As if it can't see this file
7 months ago
Got it.   My bad.   Needed to stop the site and restart it after updating the appsettings.   Thank you