Setting up new hosting for a new website - easy question...

4 months ago
It's been a few years since I had to set up a new NopCommerce website. I think I'm running 3.9 now.
I needed 3.9 for some reason, and GoDaddy hosting only had 3.0 available and couldn't/wouldn't run later versions.
One of the issues I ran into back then was that NopCommerce would only run on a Windows server, and my other ISPs only had C-Panel on Linux.
Now it appears that Linux is supported, and I'm thinking of upgrading my 3.9 website when the hosting expires - it was about 3x the cost of a C-Panel web host.
Can I set up NopCommerce to run under C-Panel on Linux now?
What versions can I do that with?
Thanks

4 months ago
nopCommerce is supported on Linux, but I don't have any experience with it. A recent user has had many troubles.

(SmarterAsp.net has some very inexpensive plans.  They offer a 60 day free trial. And a Credit Card is NOT Required.  All of their hosting plans comes with a nopCommerce 1-click installer.
4 months ago
OK, thanks. Looks like I'll use SmarterAsp.net. I can have 6 websites for $5/month and static IP for $2 more. About half what I paid at WinHost two years ago. Looks like they've gotten a bit more competitive since then, I hope SmarterAsp.net tech support is better, took WinHost a full week to fix a page loading problem - over 30 seconds to load the main webpage for a site I built. They needed to turn the HTTP Keep Alive setting for the server on, not an option I could change or see.

New question about the Web API they offer now here for NopCommerce. My 3.9 website is fully functional for people using their phones on the web, has that changed now and we need to shell out big bucks for customers to use their phones on the websites now? Not sure I understand what is going on with the Web API. Let me know. Thx
4 months ago
RE: SmarterAsp.net
You should get the plan: .NET PREMIUM $7.95/Mo
It has 3 GB of memory.  The other plan only has 512 MB.  Later versions of nopCommerce tend to need more memory.  (Or, you could free trial the other plan to see if it works, and then upgrade later.)
I've found their support to be very responsive.

RE: Web API
A nopCommerce website is fully functional for people using their phones on the web.  The Web API is meant for developers who want to build other/external applications (like native phone apps).
"The Web API plugin from nopCommerce team lets you build integrations with third-party services or mobile applications "
4 months ago
Thanks, I'll definitely get the larger hosting plan then. I've only got two websites to use it but I may start offering downloadable products that can be a couple gig in size.

I guess I won't be needing the Web API stuff, I've never really needed to do development for NopCommerce - thought about it, but have too many other things going on. It's enough just to upgrade my site every 5 years as it is.

Thanks for the info. NopCommerce has always been my first choice for web commerce, never liked the PHP stuff much. ZenCart worked but was a bit clunky. I'm an NopCommerce devotee since I first tried it.
4 months ago
Just to let you know, I setup Nopcommerce 4.6 on Azure App service Linux. I did not have any issues and the site ran well. Microsoft has a 30gb free Azure SLQ DB which is more than enough for my needs.
4 months ago
FYI, I just got an email from SmarterASP:

Christmas and New Year promotions are here! Grab yourself a huge discount before offer expires! Get up to 40% OFF with all hosting plans!

1. 15% Off for 1yr plan
2. 25% Off for 2yr plan
3. 40% Off for 3yr plan