What VPS parameters are the best for nopCommerce website in 2024?

3 months ago
nopAdvance.com wrote:
To answer your questions,

1, 2, 3, 8. Have almost none experience in setting up and running dotnet in Linux environment so far so I prefer windows servers to host and run any dotnet application. Haven't seen performance comparison between running nopCommerce on Windows vs Linux but all of our client's websites are fast enough with almost 80+ google page speed ranks even in case of complex pages and 90+ in most cases.

4. Of course, MS-SQL is faster compared to MySQL for large production databases and there's one more reason, MS-SQL runs perfectly on Microsoft eco-system. Moreover, if you have a large catalog or complex search requirements, you cannot rely only on any RDBMS storage for website speed. You have to use something like Lucene or Sphinx.

5. Anything above Windows server 2019 because we have observed that the newer dotnet versions, specially post dotnet 5 doesn't perform very good on windows server 2016 or earlier versions.

6. Both are good, but when using 2.2 you just need minimum 4 core CPU when running under 5000 products with 100 live sessions or around 8 core CPU if you are somewhere between 10000 - 25000 products with 500-800 sessions. You can increase CPU as needed. While 3.4 could make 20-30% difference.

7. I strongly suggest and prefer using NVMe. HDD is probably out of picture now-a-days and SSD will be almost half performing in a real environment.

9. Always choose latest. SQL Server 2022 in this case.

10. Of course, 4.60.5 is the best one if I talk from new dotnet family but if you are looking for something from dotnet framework then go for nopCommerce 3.90 but it's almost 6 years old.

Moreover, you forgot asking about RAM which is very crucial when talking about nopCommerce or any eCommerce platform because all of these applications uses a lot of caching to serve a lot of content. Even if you use Redis cache, or server memory cache, you need RAM. Please consider at least 12 GB RAM for approx 10000 products with 100-500 live sessions.

BTW, I usually buy VPS from Contabo and choose best suitable configurations based on my past experience with over 800 nopCommerce projects so far :) I hope this helps.

Best regards,
Atul

Thank you very much! You are the best in answering this topic!
I will use all your advices in setting my new store.
3 months ago
Thank you so much. Please vote if you found the answer helpful.
Please check my signature to contact us if needed.

danielaguero wrote:

1, 2, 3, 8. Have almost none experience in setting up and running dotnet in Linux environment so far so I prefer windows servers to host and run any dotnet application. Haven't seen performance comparison between running nopCommerce on Windows vs Linux but all of our client's websites are fast enough with almost 80+ google page speed ranks even in case of complex pages and 90+ in most cases.

4. Of course, MS-SQL is faster compared to MySQL for large production databases and there's one more reason, MS-SQL runs perfectly on Microsoft eco-system. Moreover, if you have a large catalog or complex search requirements, you cannot rely only on any RDBMS storage for website speed. You have to use something like Lucene or Sphinx.

5. Anything above Windows server 2019 because we have observed that the newer dotnet versions, specially post dotnet 5 doesn't perform very good on windows server 2016 or earlier versions.

6. Both are good, but when using 2.2 you just need minimum 4 core CPU when running under 5000 products with 100 live sessions or around 8 core CPU if you are somewhere between 10000 - 25000 products with 500-800 sessions. You can increase CPU as needed. While 3.4 could make 20-30% difference.

7. I strongly suggest and prefer using NVMe. HDD is probably out of picture now-a-days and SSD will be almost half performing in a real environment.

10. Of course, 4.60.5 is the best one if I talk from new dotnet family but if you are looking for something from dotnet framework then go for nopCommerce 3.90 but it's almost 6 years old.

Moreover, you forgot asking about RAM which is very crucial when talking about nopCommerce or any eCommerce platform because all of these applications uses a lot of caching to serve a lot of content. Even if you use Redis cache, or server memory cache, you need RAM. Please consider at least 12 GB RAM for approx 10000 products with 100-500 live sessions.

BTW, I usually buy VPS from Contabo and choose best suitable configurations based on my past experience with over 800 nopCommerce projects so far :) I hope this helps.

Best regards,
Atul

Thank you very much! You are the best in answering this topic!
I will use all your advices in setting my new store.

Best regards,
Atul
1 month ago
Hey @danielaguero
Did the advice from NopAdvance work?
1 month ago
nopAdvance.com wrote:

Best regards,
Atul

What would be the average response time in millisecond (ms) on a server with 12 GB RAM with 500 live sessions using Contabo as a provider? I tested a Contabo server with 8 vCPU Cores (AMD EPYC 7282 16-Core Processor 2.79 GHz) 24 GB RAM 300 GB NVMe on Windows Server 2022 Datacenter, 3k products using Loader.io doing 500 clients loaded and getting 6000 ms to 9000 ms response times. Am I missing something?
1 month ago
tmyvettCCL wrote:

What would be the average response time in millisecond (ms) on a server with 12 GB RAM with 500 live sessions using Contabo as a provider? I tested a Contabo server with 8 vCPU Cores (AMD EPYC 7282 16-Core Processor 2.79 GHz) 24 GB RAM 300 GB NVMe on Windows Server 2022 Datacenter, 3k products using Loader.io doing 500 clients loaded and getting 6000 ms to 9000 ms response times. Am I missing something?

I cannot give you an exact answer at this point because the response time or FID depends on many other aspects such as the website content, for example, if you are just testing default nopCommerce setup with demo data then, "8 vCPU Cores (AMD EPYC 7282 16-Core Processor 2.79 GHz) 24 GB RAM 300 GB NVMe on Windows Server 2022 Datacenter, 3k products using Loader.io doing 500 clients" should not give 6000 MS response time or FID unless the database is not on same VPS since the configuration you've mentioned is really more than needed.

We generally place database on the same server because it's hard to get performance from an application running on a relational database hosted on another network because performance does matter a lot in eCommerce.

If you have large images or large page size on the page which you are testing, please use an image CDN and configure nopCommerce for proper use of caching which will reduce your response time.

When installing IIS, did you also install dynamic content caching?

Best regards,
Atul
4 weeks ago
jjcowo wrote:
Hey @danielaguero
Did the advice from NopAdvance work?

Yes, it worked. Site works fast.
4 weeks ago
Can you share your specs and what version of NopCommerce you're using?