Product Variant Attributes - "Is Required" option

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
12 years ago
I have created some Product Variant Attributes and selected the option for "Is Required". However, if I don't select something from the dropdown list the first item in the list is just selected when the product is added to the cart.

Does anyone know how to force a selection to be made?
12 years ago
glennlawr wrote:
I have created some Product Variant Attributes and selected the option for "Is Required". However, if I don't select something from the dropdown list the first item in the list is just selected when the product is added to the cart.

Does anyone know how to force a selection to be made?

Make sure non of the attribute values is preselected. If that is not the problem then you can use Radio List which does work as you want. Check: the HDD option in http://demo.nopcommerce.com/products/67-build-your-own-computer.aspx
12 years ago
None of the attribute options are preselected. But whatever option is displayed at positioin 1 in the list is the one you see in the list without clicking the dropdown. Then this option is selected as the option if you click add to cart. You should be able to set a forct slection form the dropdown list. This seems like a bug to me!

Thanks for the advice on the radio list, but this won't work very well when you have 10s of colours & sizes to choose from.
12 years ago
glennlawr wrote:
You should be able to set a forct slection form the dropdown list. This seems like a bug to me!

I agree. Check this: https://www.nopcommerce.com/boards/t/5925/force-product-variant-attribute-selection.aspx
12 years ago
Same story there then!

Hopefully this will be added to future releases. And also the option to set product varient attribute templates where you can create a template and add all the colours & sizes etc and just apply the template to any product, new or existing.

Thanks anyway...
12 years ago
glennlawr wrote:
Same story there then!

And also the option to set product varient attribute templates where you can create a template and add all the colours & sizes etc and just apply the template to any product, new or existing.

Thanks anyway...

Yes. Now you can do something similar using te Copy option for replicating products (which you use as "template") with all necessary attributes and other caracteristics.
12 years ago
That's fine for new products, but no good for the hundreds of products I already have :( Also I don't like to create products through the admin panel one at a time, I always do this through my xls product lists and just import. Much easier & quicker.

I am actually looking at adding the required attribute varients manually through the database. It also seems to be much quicker this way. There are a few different tables and product/varient ID's to work with, but I still think it will be better than doing it through the admin panel.
12 years ago
After running to the same issue with a client, I ended up modifying the code to resolve this issue. you can see the details on my blog. Basically I tried to emulate the same functionality for validation that you get from a drop down list and a required validation in Asp.NET
Hope this will help you resolve your issue as well. If it does, leave a comment and let me know.
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.