Installing nopcommerce on test server with an existing database

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
12 years ago
Yes doublechecked!! It´s the same place, I actually got the app to fail, erased the plugins bin folder. for some reason, in the original deployment.bat, the bin folder was not present and it threw an error, had to create it manually.

I even added som text to the install page on the cshtml file, so YES I´m pretty certain.

I guess it has something to do with the hosting that has some issue with MVC. I'm thinking of updating to the 1.9 version at the moment... I'm out of ideas
12 years ago
When you said you're installing a new instance using an existing database, do you mean that you have an existing nopcommerce 2.2 database or that you're using a previous version of the database?
12 years ago
An existing nopcommerce 2.2 database...

See the problem is that the hosting only has one sql database available, so i had to setup my test db in a local dev server. I run the app locally hooked to that database and it works fine.

I haven´t really changed anything to the app I'm just testing the hosting to see if the app runs on it, and it seems it doesn´t. The weird thing is that there are no errors, although the gibberish characters are back again. so I might have to wipe clean the test site and reupload :s :s.
12 years ago
They only other thing I can think of is making sure your server permissions are set correctly.  You might want to go to your file/folder manager (if you're using a control panel) and give every user read/write permissions so you can isolate the problem.  

I don't know if this will actually solve your issue, but it's something I'd check just to be sure.
12 years ago
I have exactly the same problem.

Version 2.20

Existing database on my hosting, created from my local Visual Studio built solution and localhost

When I deploy built version to the web server and put

settings.txt with correct values, and installedplugins.txt

it keeps returning me to the install page...

I'm going nuts with this! Checked permissions, checked everything,

Even created an empty installation, it worked, when I changed settings.txt connection string it stardet to send me back to the install page...
12 years ago
I was thinking that the application times out when looking for the external db (because of the latency involved) and somehow redirects to the install page. Is this possible?

Either that or it's definitely something going on with the hosting/IIS.

domagoj, what happens when you click on the restart installation link on the bottom of the install page, do you get gibberish??
12 years ago
aduarte wrote:
I was thinking that the application times out when looking for the external db (because of the latency involved) and somehow redirects to the install page. Is this possible?

Either that or it's definitely something going on with the hosting/IIS.

domagoj, what happens when you click on the restart installation link on the bottom of the install page, do you get gibberish??

No, it can't be connection timeout, the connection string is flawless, and db is 100% available.

When I click restart, nothing special happens, the install page apears again.  I don't get gibberish.

Today I'll try to connect my local version to a different db and see if I get the same effect, and then try to debug to see what happens.

EDIT:

Locally everything worked as it should. When I change/set the connection string in settings.txt, and tick space in web.config and save, to restart the app, the home page fires up as it should...

On my hosting, I ran the installation again, when it completed, the home page didn't fire up, but instead I got an error

CS0104: 'TopicModel' is an ambiguous reference between 'Nop.Admin.Models.Topics.TopicModel' and 'Nop.Web.Models.Topics.TopicModel'

but I think that's a whole other topic.

I get the same gibberish you do, when I turn on ASP.NET 4.0(with integrated pipeline). When I leave just ASP.NET 4.0, I don't get gibberish.

I'm stumped... :)
12 years ago
Did you ever resolve your issue?
12 years ago
Lray88 wrote:
Did you ever resolve your issue?

Not actually. It works as expected on another server. When you change the connection string in settings.txt, and restart the application it simply works.

Probably has something to do with my hosting, so I postponed the issue, maybe it will resolve by itself.. :)

I even put the updated 2.30 version, ran the SQL update script in the DB, and behavior is exactly the same.
12 years ago
Is your FTP program set to transfer in ASCII format or Binary?  I had the same thing happen last week.  A lot of the nopCommerce config files are .txt and rely on newlines.  If your FTP program is transferring them as ASCII it can mangle the newlines and the app can't connect to the DB so it assumes you want to reinstall.

This happened to me with Settings.txt and plugin description files.
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.