Is there a reason for config files to be newline delimited?

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
12 years ago
Why are config files delimited by \r\n?  I've been burned a few times during installation over the past few days when my FTP program is stripping newlines from .txt files that nopCommerce uses as config files.  This leads to random errors that are hard to debug:

1) Settings.txt, everything was on one line so the app didn't think the database was installed and always redirected to /install

2) InstalledPlugins.txt,  plugins looked like they weren't installed but then threw an error when clicking install because the txt file was corrupted when I uploaded it.

3)  Plugin config files, none of the plugins were showing up in the list because all of their config files were invalid

It seems like switching these files to a CSV or XML format would remove the possibility of them being corrupted because of a missing \r\n that is hard to verify.
12 years ago
I think the easiest solution would be to start using some other FTP program because it should not edit any uploaded files!!!
12 years ago
Yes, once I switched FileZilla to Binary transfer instead of the default Ascii then I didn't have any more trouble.  Maybe just add that info to the download page.  

All I'm saying is with any other delimiter, these errors never happen.
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.