Directory Listing Denied - Solved: Upgrade hosting to IIS7

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
12 years ago
Upgrading from 1.9 to 2.0, followed this tutorial, install went perfect, no errors whatsoever. However, when I visit the site I get "Directory Listing Denied". No specific errors which makes troubleshooting incredibly difficult ("customErrors" is set to "Off").

I've searched these forums and Google and only found one thread with this same error, which of course has no replies.

My settings and plugin files are correctly written and in the App_Data folder.
MVC 3 and framework 4 were all good.
On an Applied Innovations server.

The upgrade works perfect locally and the files are exactly the same on the live site so I'm wondering if it's something to do with the server it's on. I spoke to the tech support at Applied Innovations, they said the only reason for the error that they could come up with is because there is no actual default.aspx file. Of course the pages are generated by the application so that wasn't helpful.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I've been fighting this issue for days and it's pretty ridiculous.

Thanks for your help

[Edit 12/23/11: Had Applied Innovations upgrade IIS6 to IIS7 and it solved the issue]
12 years ago
Is the host using IIS6?  http://haacked.com/archive/2010/12/22/asp-net-mvc-3-extensionless-urls-on-iis-6.aspx

I'm pretty sure that you are correct, it's a server config issue.
12 years ago
speakparrot wrote:
Upgrading from 1.9 to 2.0, followed this tutorial, install went perfect, no errors whatsoever. However, when I visit the site I get "Directory Listing Denied". No specific errors which makes troubleshooting incredibly difficult ("customErrors" is set to "Off").

I've searched these forums and Google and only found one thread with this same error, which of course has no replies.

My settings and plugin files are correctly written and in the App_Data folder.
MVC 3 and framework 4 were all good.
On an Applied Innovations server.

The upgrade works perfect locally and the files are exactly the same on the live site so I'm wondering if it's something to do with the server it's on. I spoke to the tech support at Applied Innovations, they said the only reason for the error that they could come up with is because there is no actual default.aspx file. Of course the pages are generated by the application so that wasn't helpful.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I've been fighting this issue for days and it's pretty ridiculous.

Thanks for your help

Give this a read:

http://www.asp.net/mvc/tutorials/older-versions/deployment/using-asp-net-mvc-with-different-versions-of-iis-cs
12 years ago
AndyMcKenna wrote:
Is the host using IIS6?

Yes it is IIS6. I tried the <modules runAllManagedModulesForAllRequests="false"/> modification but it didn't seem to resolve it.

skyler.severns wrote:

I gave that a try and it doesn't seem to work however that could be my fault. I'm a unix/php coder so chances are high that I might be doing something incorrectly.

Also spoke to yet another tech support person at Applied Innovations who said I needed to modify htaccess and manually redirect each URL. While that seems rather an extensive fix, it appears everyone is at least in agreement about URL redirects/routing being the culprit.
12 years ago
Took the easy route—asked host to upgrade the IIS6 to IIS7 and it fixed it instantly with zero work on my part, wewt.
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.