Recommendations for Development System

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
12 years ago
Please describe an adequate development system for compiling and debugging nopCommerce on.  My present system is too slow to use for development.  I can compile the code, but for the iterative process of testing and development, it just doesn't cut it.  At present, I just haven't spent much time trying to modify the code because I need a faster system to make getting up to speed on MVC/Razor and C# in the .net environment practical.

I will be upgrading and need to spec out something that will run a copy of SQL Server 2008 and Visual Studio 10 reasonably.

At a minimum, please list:

CPU MAKE/MODEL
RAM CAPACITY
DRIVE TYPE / SPEED

Also, give approximate time to RUN nopCommerce in the VS2010 IDE using a single system for both VS10 and SQL.

Anything else you deem relevant.

TIA,

Steven...
12 years ago
My laptop seems fine for developing nopCommerce.  I'm running SQL Server directly on it.

CPU:  Intel Core i5-2520   2.5 GHz
RAM:  8GB
Not sure about my HD speed
Windows 7 64-bit

I'd say it takes 30-45 seconds to do a full solution rebuild.  If you're trying to cut that down the best piece you can get is a solid state hard drive.
12 years ago
My machine for development:
CPU:  Intel Core2 2 CPU E8400 @3.00GHz
RAM:  4GB
Windows 2003 Enterprise, SQL Server 2005 Enterprise, VS2010 (nothing more is installed)

It also takes about 30-40 seconds to rebuilt the solution
12 years ago
well I'd offer - quit trying to compile and use the install version - then use the system to learn MVC/Razor.  The NOP team has delivered a great platform to just explore the presentation layer.  Install the system, copy a theme to a new directory, update the theme settings and start playing with the theme/views.

A change to a view (razor) page doesn't require a recompile - if you add new views to your theme (copied from the default views) - it may take an ISS application restart - but not a recompile.

I do all my NOP development (plugins and themes) on a 4GB Win7 Laptop.  See the site I just launched @ http://www.inourgenes.com
12 years ago
I've changed CSS/themes and views no problem.  The things I'd like to do now require model/controller changes and compiling.  Thx.
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.